dam-l irn-mekong list: ADB letter on asian area dam projects

> [...]
>>
>>     The study approach will include (i) a review of Bank documents;
>>     (ii) a study of other relevant documents produced by governments;
>>     (iii) a survey of samples of affected parties at the projects or at
>>     resettlement sites where they have been created; (iv) and
>>     discussions with selected government officials, concerned NGOs, and
>>     other appropriate individuals, as well as Bank staff.  A study
>>     mission will visit each of the selected projects.  The study
>>     mission likely will include Bank staff, two international
>>     consultants (not yet selected), and one domestic consultant from
>>     each country.  The study mission will provide opportunities for
>>     input from all interested stakeholders.  The study mission would be
>>     pleased to meet with representatives from IRN and would welcome any
>>     information or documents IRN may wish to share.
>>
>>     Concerning announcing the study to the public, the Bank normally
>>     does not undertake any special publicity in this regard.  The
>>     project certainly would be announced in the project areas.  The
>>     technical assistance document supporting the study is available as
>>     is the Bank's policy.  The study actually is one of several studies
>>     being undertaken under an umbrella regional technical assistance
>>     RETA 32070:  Supporting the Bank's Evaluation and Operational
>>     Activities in Developing Member Countries, approved in May 1998.
>>
>>     On public input into the study process, Bank project reviews are
>>     consultative and participative, involving project beneficiaries,
>>     persons and communities affected, and other relevant stakeholders.
>>     Public meetings are undertaken as necessary and as circumstances
>>     dictate.  The Bank's background papers and the actual interim
>>     documents produced in the course of the study likely would not be
>>     made public; because of possible sensitivities, internal and
>>     external,these documents likely would be classified as "For
>>     Official Use Only" under the Bank's Information Policy -- this is
>>     standard practice.  But as noted, the study process will be
>>     consultative and participatory, and information will be shared
>>     freely.
>>
>>     The final study, of course, would be a public document after it is
>>     completed and circulated to the Bank's Board of Directors.
>>
>>     I hope this is helpful.  Please let me know if more information is
>>     needed.
>>
>>     Gordon Wilkinson

>Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 18:26:05 -0700
>From: Aviva Imhof <aviva@irn.org>
>Sender: owner-irn-mekong@igc.org
>Subject: ADB Study on 4 Hyrdopower Projects in Asia
>To: irn-wcd@igc.org, irn-mekong@igc.org
>

>*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
>Aviva Imhof, Mekong Program Coordinator
>International Rivers Network
>1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley CA 94703 USA
>Tel: + 1 510 848 1155 (ext. 312), Fax: + 1 510 848 1008
>Email: aviva@irn.org, Web: http://www.irn.org

Dianne Murray,
Coordinator, Dam-Reservoir Working Group
Webmistress, Dam-Reservoir Impact and Information Archive
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/dams
vox: 1-613-520-2757  fax:1-613-520-3898	e: dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
Home of Project Pisces: fish need flow!