dam-l Two dam articles/LS

The following  two articles are on a new dam in Swaziland, and on Ghana

>>From the ANC Daily News Briefing:
>
>MANDELA ATTENDS CEREMONY FOR NEW SWAZI DAM
>JOHANNESBURG October 8 1998 Sapa
>
>       President Nelson Mandela and Water Affairs and Forestry Minister
>Kader Asmal
>       on Thursday attended the sod-turning ceremony for the Maguga dam at
>Piggs Peak
>       in Swaziland.
>
>       A statement from Asmal's department said the event was also attended by
>       Swaziland's King Mswati II, government ministers, officials and
>local residents.
>
>       The ceremony signified a milestone in the development of the Komati
>river's
>       resources.
>
>       Speaking at the ceremony, Mandela thanked the Swaziland government
>for looking
>       after South Africans during the struggle. He particularly thanked
>the late King
>       Sobhuza for opening his doors to South African exiles.
>
>       Mswati thanked South Africa for its good cooperation. He said the
>joint venture
>       would strenghten the relationship between the two countries.
>
>       Asmal said there had been attempts to polarise the need for dams and
>water
>       conservation. Both countries needed to ensure the security of supply
>that a dam
>       like Maguga could offer.
>
>       People living in and around Piggs Peak and areas near the Komati and in
>       Mozambique, would enjoy a better life because of the benefits
>derived from such
>       developments, he said.
>
>                         [ index by subject - length | newswire root ]
>
>source: gopher://gopher.anc.org.za/00/anc/newsbrief/1998/news1009
>processed Fri 9 Oct 1998 09:32 SAST.
>

>                 Wednesday, October 7, 1998 Published at 11:47 GMT 12:47 UK
>

>                 World: Africa
>
>                 Uganda: A ray of light in Africa

(NOTE: **see asterisks  that highlight quote telling how dependence on
> [...]
>
>                 Uganda has gone from "basket case" to a role model for Africa
>
>                 By the BBC's International Business Correspondent, Peter
>                 Morgan, reports on some surprising evidence of economic
>hope to
>                 be found in Africa
>
>                 Every day before dawn on the far Western border of Uganda,
>hundreds of people begin their journey.
>

>                                            But this is not another
>hopeless migration  of hungry refugees of the kind
>you have  seen so often on the television news.
>
>                                            These are the workers of the
>Bugambe tea estates, and picking starts
>before the heat of the day.
>
>                                            It is a quiet, picturesque sort
>of an  industry, being developed in a
>region which, for almost 20 years, was
>simply   so dangerous that the only
>living available  here was the poorest kind of
>subsistence  farming.
>
>                                            Uganda has had the misfortune
>of being  ruled by some of the nastiest
>tyrants to terrorise Africa.
>
>                                            During the long years of misery
>under Idi  Amin and Milton Obote, these tea estates were abandoned.
>
>                 But now a British company has judged the country safe
>enough to hack back the jungle, and re-cultivated these gentle hills,
>where every
>day now 5 tonnes of tea are picked by hand and exported for blends like PG
>Tips.
>
>                 In Uganda, here in the very heart of Africa, years of
>despotism, starvation and misery are making way for a new age of peace,
>stability
>and even some kind of prosperity.
>
>                 Basic conditions
>
>                 There are a number of conditions, which have to exist for
>any economy to prosper. Principal among them are peace and stability.
> Upon this essential foundation stone a government must establish the
>rule of law. It must embark upon economic policies, which will regulate
>prices,  exchange rates and trade. It
>must take on the corrupt and the crooked.
>
>                                            Tragically, in Africa, there
>are still too  many examples of countries
>where few or  none of these conditions exist. But Uganda taken tremendous
>strides
>in the  right direction, and for the
>past 12 years President Yoweri Musevini has
>introduced  peace to Uganda.
>
>                                            He has also moved closer to
>democratic  government than Uganda has ever
>been,  and he has followed the
>instructions of the  IMF and the World Bank so
>assiduously  that Uganda has become the
>first nation to
>                 be granted debt relief under a complex scheme whereby
>developing countries, which show sufficient determination to reform their
>economies, will be forgiven  slices of their debt to the rich Western nations.
>
>                 And go to Kampala to see the difference. The capital is
>buzzing with traders
>                 selling Walkmans and TVs, while the new emerging middle
>class are sporting
>                 their designer clothes and fashionable shades.

 And Uganda is not an isolated example of economic hope in sub-Saharan Africa.

>                                            Ghana is another African
>country with a hideously bloody history, followed by a recent spectacular
>recovery.
>
>                                            Ghana lies on what the early
>European  explorers named the Gold Coast. Quite apart from its huge gold
>deposits, Ghana
>                                            has diamonds and more than its
>fair share
>                                            of many more of the world's most
>                                            precious minerals.
>
>                                            So too has its near neighbour
>Sierra
>                                            Leone. The difference between
>the two could not be more striking. While Sierra  Leone stumbles from
>crisis to crisis,  Ghana is achieving rates of growth that  most European
>countries would envy.
>
>                 The skyline of the capital Accra is bristling with new
>development. The President, Flight Lieutenant Jerry Rawlings, is seriously
>talking about eliminating absolute poverty in his country by the year 2020.
>
>                 This has been made possible by the unique decision of
>Jerry Rawlings, who seized power in a military coup in 1981, to introduce a
>constitutional democracy  some 12 years later.
>
>                 His office is now legitimised by popular mandate, and at
>the end of his second term in the year 2000, the constitution decrees that he
>will have to stand down.
>
>                 Negative areas
Sadly, it is still absurd to talk about an economic
>revival across sub-Saharan Africa, where many millions of people are still
>quite
>literally starving, where tyranny is still widespread, and where Aids
>continues to
>ravage the population.
>
>                 It is also important not to be hijacked by the IMF
>officials and aid workers who are desperate to have an African success
>story to tell to
>combat the world's cynicism and compassion fatigue about the Dark Continent.
>

>                                            Let it go on the record that
>in Uganda,
>                                            tales of corruption are too
>widespread and
>                                            consistent to ignore. While
>Uganda's
>                                            unique "movement system",
>which allows
>                                            anyone to stand for parliament but
>                                            outlaws political parties, attracts
>                                            widespread criticism as being
>                                            fundamentally undemocratic.

>                                            Ghana's economic growth has been
>                                            severely restricted this year
>by a power
>                                            crisis, which has plunged
>large areas of
>                                            the country into darkness for large
>                                            portions of the day.
>
>                                            It is because the country has
>become
>                                            totally reliant on the
>hydro-electric output
>                                            of the Akosombo dam. When the rains
>                                            fail, and the level of the
>River Volta falls
>                                            (which has happened with a
>vengeance
>                                            this year), it has left the
>whole of Ghana's
>                 economy looking shockingly vulnerable.

>                 Even so Sam Jonah, the Chief Executive of Ashanti
>Goldfields, the country's biggest private company, not only enthuses about the
>prospects for Ghana's  economy. He is convinced that Ghana with is
>constitutional
>democracy and free  trade polices is providing a blue print for the rest
>of Africa.
>
>                 "A wind of change is blowing through this continent," he
>says, echoing the  words of Harold Macmillan half a century ago.
>
>                 Uganda and Ghana are not flawless examples of what free
>market democracies can achieve.
>
>                 But when you look where they started, and when you see
>what they have achieved, you feel armed with enough evidence to challenge
>the widespread bar room opinion that sub-Saharan Africa is a "basket case" of
>which we might as well, here and now, despair.
>

>                 Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage
>
>                                                             ©

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
        and Editor, World Rivers Review
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org