dam-l Petition from LHWP affected people/LS

The following is a petition to project authorities, the World Bank and
others re: an urgent compensation problem with the Lesotho Highlands Water
Project. See also the posting "Letter to WBank on LHWP".

>                                                                        HCSAC
>
>Private Bag 8983
>
>Maseru 100

>The Chief Executive
>LHDA
>P.O. Box 7332
>Maseru 100
>
>RE: COMMUNITY PETITION REGARDING COMPENSATION OF COMMUNAL LANDS
>
>Dear Mr. Marumo:
>
>We hope you are well.  Enclosed you will find a letter of petition from
>representatives of communities close to Katse Reservoir.  These villages
>have as yet not received the compensation for communal land that is due to
>them.
>
>Affected people have not been well-informed as to why they are no longer
>receiving fodder.  People are not clear as to what they must do in order to
>access their compensation money.  Apparently, it is not clear to LHDA staff
>either.  We are aware that the funds are to be used for approved village
>development plans, but some villages have developed and submitted plans
>months ago and have not received a response from LHDA to this date.  We
>have been told by staff at the Katse Field Operations Branch (FOB) that “no
>criteria have been developed for determining which plans are acceptable,
>nor has anyone been designated the responsibility for evaluating the
>various plans.”  This may, in part, explain the delay.  Nevertheless, it
>hardly seems fair that communities should be required to devise “viable”
>development projects when most of LHDA’s own attempts at community
>development have met with failure.
>
>The compensation payments are now nearly five months late and are the
>source of growing resentment towards the LHWP in the affected communities.
>Affected people suspect that corruption and negligence are the cause of
>this delay.
>
>We thank you for your attention, and we appeal to you to act on this as a
>matter of urgency.
>

>Sincerely,
>
>Moea Ramokoatsi                         Ryan Hoover
>Katse Fieldworker                               Katse Fieldworker
>
>enc
>
>cc:     Willie Croucamp (DWAF-RSA)
>        Arnaud Guinard (World Bank Project Team Leader)
>        Mawinnie Kanetsi (TRC & NGO Cluster Chairperson)
>        Mahlape Mothepu (GM-ESSG)
>        Lori Pottinger (International Rivers Network)
>        Thayer Scudder (Environmental Expert Panel)

>To:  Mr. Makase Marumo, Chief Executive of the LHDA
>
>Dear Sir:
>
>We, as residents of Katse Local Catchment, have been stripped of the lands
>where our animals used to graze by the construction and filling of Katse
>Dam.  In order to mitigate this loss, the project compensated us with
>fodder for the past five years.
>
>We are now very surprised because just before the end of last year we were
>told by the project that we would be given money instead of fodder.  Some
>of us began developing plans for how to use these funds.  Unfortunately, we
> [...]

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
        and Editor, World Rivers Review
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org