dam-l Research of Southeast Asian Dams & Hydroelectric Projects (fwd)

Forwarded message:
From MAjo444@aol.com  Sun Nov  8 22:57:04 1998
From: MAjo444@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 22:56:12 EST
To: dianne@sandelman.ocunix.on.ca
Cc: wescoat@spot.Colorado.edu, halvorso@ucsu.Colorado.edu
Subject: Research of Southeast Asian Dams & Hydroelectric Projects

My name is Mark Jones.  I am a student at the University of Colorado.
Currently,  I am working with a Southeast Asia regional research team focusing
on detailed case studies pertaining to dams and large hydroelectric projects.

We are looking for complete case studies.   Our team uses the following
criteria for identifying detailed case studies:

1.  Is it "detailed"  (e.g. >50pp)?
2.  Does it focus on a "specific" water policy, project or program (rather
than a general survey of water sector issues)?
3.  Does it evaluate the "actual economic, social, and environmental
consequences" of an implemented water project, policy, or program -- rather
than the projected consequences of planned projects?

An example of such a case study would be the famous water resource geographer,
Gilbert White's summary of environmental consequences of the High Aswan Dam.

We would much appreciate it if you could email your thoughts and responses to
the following questions (in the next several days if at all possible):

1. What are the most detailed case studies  of dams in South Asia and
Southeastern Asia?

2. How have these case studies influenced subsequent water management
practices in this sector and region?

3.  Are there detailed case studies in OTHER sectors and/or regions that have
influenced water management in your area?

4.  Are there other water experts whom you would especially recommend that we
contact to identify detailed ex-post evaluations?

Thank you very much for your assistance.  We shall be happy to share our
results with you later in the year if you are interested.

Sincerely yours,
Mark Jones
MAjo444@aol.com