From rwheeler@msad72.k12.me.us  Thu Nov 19 11:44:15 1998
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:47:41 -0400
Subject: Re: hi
From: rwheeler@msad72.k12.me.us (Roger Wheeler)
To: dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca

Friends of Sebago Lake will soon be involved in a lawsuit with
South African Paper Products International and also a
relicensing hearing(s). We may lose our shirts
but we have no options. We need information regarding the effects of
unnatural water level regulation of natural lakes with dams. The
limonological effests of resevoirs is about the same especially when water
level management out of kilter with the the northern hemisphere annual
cycle. The State of Maine is also now collecting information on the
effects of dam regulation on fish and otheraquatic biota. This is a new
direction.  I am relaying information that I receive, to them. There is a
chance that Maine could become a leader in responsible dam water level
management education and removal of some dams. Pressure is mounting on
them to do this.

Unnatural water level regimes could include:
Sustaining high levels throughout the growing season.
Peaking high water levels too late in the spring
Dropping lake levels after ice in or freezing weather
Rapid drops in lake level elevation.

What are some large lakes , i.e.25 square miles plus, in Quebec or Ontario
which are regulated and suffered shoreline recession damage or damage to
aquatic biota?

Who are some scientific contacts about these problems. (people who can
talk freely)

We are building a web page. It is< www.fosl.org>   it should be on line
soon. There are too few of us who care about this  to held back.
check out <Lakers@cyberport.net>  Flathead Lake, Montana      They have
sent me some good stuff.

Thanks, Roger