Forwarded message:
From davis.teacher@smtp.nese.com  Tue Nov 17 00:07:45 1998
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 00:04:59 -0500
From: Davis Bookhart <davis.teacher@smtp.nese.com>

I am a MALD candidate at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at
Tufts University, and am now looking at the recent spree of dam building
and proposals for the Mekong river.  Specifically I am trying to tie a
thread between the presures to continue the building (i.e., insistance
by the World Bank and Asian Development Bank, private investers) and the
environmental NGO scientific community that are trying to stop the
building, with the governments of Laos (particularly) and others
enthralled by the lure of easy money and outside financed development
projects.

Your website has been fantastic in gathering info about this subject, as
well as linking to other sites.  I would be grateful if you could spare
the time to steer me in any direction that I might be missing
(publications or other websites, etc) that show the preditory nature of
the financing institutions in regards to dam building, especially in the
Mekong region.

Also, a very specific question:  China, who has been constructing at
full steam on the upper reaches of the Mekong, claims that since they
are not using the dams for irrigation, there will not be any shortage of
water downstream or other complications.  Is this possible?

Thank you in advance for your time, and I hope to hear back from you
soon,

Davis Bookhart