dam-l Asmal replies to Addison Editorial/LS

The following appeared in the Saturday Star newspaper (South Africa). It is
SA's Water Minister Kader Asmal's reply to an antidam editorial that
appeared in the previous week's edition, by Graeme Addison of South Africa
Rivers Network (sent in a previous listserv mailing). Note that Asmal
refers to SARA as being some kind of splinter group of IRN; this is untrue.

-------------
Lesotho dams project is of huge benefit to its citizens

Graeme Addison has it all wrong. In his article "A case of dam it and be
damned" (Saturday Star, November 7) he contends the military intervention
in Lesotho had to do with protecting Katse Dam from sabotage.

Our military intervention had nothing to do with water. It had everything
to do with meeting our obligations to a friendly ally facing a coup,
restoring peace and order, and helping to restore discipline in the Lesotho
Defence Force. The reference to "wars over water" is misplaced and
malicious.

South Africa does not need to go to Lesotho to get Orange River water. We
could in fact wait for it to run across the border and pump it into a canal
across the Free State. But it makes more sense to tap the water where it
can flow down to the Vaal under gravity, than to ask Eskom to burn coal to
generate electricity to pump it uphill. Thus South Africa saves money. The
royalties, which will make a substantial contribution to Lesotho's income,
are calculated on the basis of savings made.

In reality there is very good co-operation between South Africa and the
government of Lesotho on water matters.

Addison should come clean about his interest he is now national
administrator of the Southern African Rivers Association, a pressure group
linked to the International Rivers Network, which is co-ordinating anti-dam
campaigns worldwide.

Seasonal rain

Addison is one of the implacable opponents of dams who seem to have lost
touch with reality. To them all dams are bad news. They overlook a very
significant characteristic of our part of the globe: we experience seasonal
rain, causing occasional floods during one season. Unless the floodwater is
stored for use during the drier periods, there is no way that normal life
and economic growth can be sustained. Those responsible for resource
development should carefully select the dam sites and ensure that negative
impacts are minimised and mitigated.

To present me as "an avid promoter of big dams" takes no account of the
fact that I follow a policy of major restraint over dams, and my objectives
have always favoured small and micro-schemes. Look at the hundreds of
schemes throughout South Africa which, in less than five years, have
brought water to nearly 3 million people.

In the case of the Katse Dam, leading environmentalists have stated that
never before in Africa had so much attention been given to the natural
environmental aspects. The negative social impacts of the Katse Dam have
been grossly overemphasised by opponents of the project, while a myriad
positive impacts are comfortably ignored.

Only 26 households were involuntarily resettled. Another 41 households
voluntarily requested to be resettled. All have certified that they are
completely satisfied after resettlement. All the families are being
assisted to improve their standard of living.

Thousands of other households were marginally affected, but all will be
provided with an upgraded water supply and better access roads. The
development has also brought new opportunities in tourism and trading.

Katse Dam will not impoverish Lesotho, but will ensure constant revenue
that, because of conditions set by the World Bank, will provide money for
development projects throughout Lesotho. Thus 9 000 job opportunities have
been created, apart from the 23 000 man-years of jobs provided by Phase 1A
of the Lesotho Highlands Water Project.

Addison is correct when he says there is growing world opposition to large
dams. The supply-side option is always easiest, and it is definitely not
unknown for potential dam developers to cook the books.

When I became the minister responsible for the LHWP, I insisted on a
complete review of all aspects. Policy was changed to ensure that people
affected would be better off.

Our policy requires thorough investigation into water conservation
programmes prior to approval for the building of new dams.

As chairperson of the World Commission on Dams, I have indicated that I
require a consensus report on the issues. Members of the commission have
been carefully selected to represent various interest groups.

Perhaps the best proof of the soundness of policies and decision-making was
the outcome of the recent attempts by pressure groups to postpone
implementation of Phase 1B of the LHWP.

The protests were not "brushed aside", as Addison suggests. An independent
group from the World Bank Inspectorate critically reviewed the LHWP designs
of the environmental programmes as well as the water conservation policies
to be applied in the Vaal River catchment. The outcome was overwhelming
approval of the programmes and a commendation on their advanced status.

Addison is quite wrong when he says dam builders have no ideas for the
future. We have just formed a Directorate: Water Conservation with the
specific brief to further these approaches. In addition, the National Water
Conservation Campaign is busy with demand management through tariffs,
creative and informative billing; schools education programmes; and also
water conservation (Working for Water Programme). Apart from creating jobs
and fostering indigenous growth, it seeks to increase catchment runoff by
eradicating high-water-use vegetation.

Addison is equally wrong when he says we have ignored sustainability. The
National Water Policy and the National Water Act have as their cornerstones
equity of access to water, and sustainable use of water. The revolutionary
concept of a reserve as far as I know unique in water laws of the world
guarantees that water for basic human needs and for the maintenance of
ecological functioning will receive first priority in making allocations.
The resource classification system and resource quality objectives will
recognise that certain rivers wild and scenic will require and receive
special levels of protection.

Consultations

The policy and the legislation were the result of extensive consultations.
The act also requires us to consult with the public on just about
everything we intend to do particularly in respect of the National Water
Resource Strategy, in which we must inter alia set out our actions intended
to meet future water needs, which will include details of plans for dams.

Environmental impact assessments (including social issues) are required by
the Environmental Conservation Act, which requirement is reinforced in the
Water Act.

Addison's suggested desalination of seawater is possible, but it's very
expensive, because of the high power requirements.

It has been estimated that a plant to supply about half of the Cape Town
metropole's needs would need a 50% extension to Koeberg nuclear power
station. It was not considered acceptable because of the environmental
impacts. (In the end, Cape Town embarked on a water demand management
campaign.)

A final note may amuse your readers. Graeme Addison is organiser of the
proposed Vaal River Rodeo next year. He is telling the world that "due to
the major water transfer schemes from the Tugela and Lesotho, the Vaal has
become one of the most reliable watersports rivers in the country
sufficient water flow can be assured to ensure wild water action".

Dams and schemes ensure not just wild- water rafting but also fundamental
activities industry, farming, to say nothing of the needs of millions of
households.

All Material © copyright Independent Newspapers 1998.

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
        and Editor, World Rivers Review
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org