dam-l Re: Are You Serious?

    Unfortunately, it appears that you are looking at some isolated
problems. We better understand the environment today and are learning more
about it everyday. There is no question that there is an impact when human
beings build facilities to serve societal needs. That is inevitable, but
again we have to make choices. We need to provide for basic needs on a
planet that is literally shrinking. No one with good sense can ignore the
dwindling rain forests, for instance.  The past experiences have taught us
how to do a better job of minimizing the impacts from our intrusions on the
environment and to correct some of the problems that exist.
    It may be of interest to you to know that the author of Cadillac Desert
now advocates building more dams in CA. In a speech last year, he made that
statement before a group of water agencies. The book itself is unfortunately
fraught with overstatements of the facts. A better view was presented on
public TV when they used the book as a basis for a piece on dams and water.
Public TV gave a more balanced and more factual viewpoint. I believe it was
shown on the Discovery Channel.

Best Regards:

Ron Corso                   Tel. :(703)351-5251
Mead & Hunt, Inc.           Fax  :(703)524-4777
1655 N. Fort Myer Drive     Email: rcorso@meadhunt.com
Suite 700
Arlington, VA 22209-3108