dam-l Survival Int. on Epupa/LS

>16 March

>Namibia presses ahead regardless with dam
>
>Survival International has denounced Namibia's preparations for a
>hydroelectric dam, which if built will flood the best pasture land of the
>Himba people and destroy their society. Although the $540 million joint
>Namibian -Angolan project has not yet been funded, the Namibian Deputy
>Minister of Mines and Energy, Jesaya Nyamu, has announced that the
>preparatory phase, including the final drawing up of plans, will start in
>mid-1999.
>
>The project will use the water of the Kunene river, which forms the border
>between Namibia and Angola. The two partners disagree over the site of the
>dam: Namibia favours the cheaper option which will drown the famous Epupa
>Falls; Angola prefers a site downstream in the Baynes mountains, which will
>flood a smaller area. The Himba reject both alternatives.They fear the
>destruction of their way of life if the dam floods their pastures and
>gardens and ancestral graves, besides overwhelming them with an influx of
>up to 4,000 construction workers. To quote a statement by Himba leaders:
>'To us, Baynes can be likened to the tail of the cow and Epupa the body.
>Our fear is that if we give the Government the tail we are in fact allowing
>them to wrestle the whole cow from our hands.'
>
>The project is also criticised on environmental grounds.  The dam's
>reservoir could evaporate more water each year than the capital city of
>Windhoek uses annually - this in a country with a serious water shortage.
>Meanwhile, enough natural gas and other sources of electric power exist to
>make Namibia self-sufficient.
>
>A Survival International representative commented: 'The Namibian
>government seem determined to push the project beyond the point of no
>return. This would be a disaster for the Himba, while bringing little
>long-term benefit to the rest of the Namibian people.'
>
>ends

For more information contact:

Virginia Luling
Africa Campaigns Officer
Survival
11-15 Emerald Street
LONDON
WC1N 3QL
TEL:  ++44 171 242 1441
Fax: ++44 171 242 1771
survival@gn.apc.org

Survival is a worldwide organisation supporting tribal and indigenous
peoples.  It stands for their right to decide their own future and helps
them protect their lives, lands and human rights.

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
        and Editor, World Rivers Review
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org