dam-l Laos :Grandiose dams threaten environmental disaster

Date sent:      	Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:50:40 -0700
From:           	Aviva Imhof <aviva@irn.org>
Subject:        	Fwd: Laos Grandiose dams 'threaten environmental disaster'
To:             	irn-mekong@igc.org

>>(South China Morning Post, Wednesday April 21 1999)
>>
>>The Mekong Region
>>Grandiose dams 'threaten environmental disaster'
>>
>>LAOS by GREG TORODE in Bangkok
>>
>>Plans to drag Southeast Asia's most underdeveloped
>>nation into a new century with an ambitious
>>dam-building programme are risking environmental and
>>economic catastrophe, according to a major new study.
>>
>>The scathing report by the US-based International
>>Rivers Network demanded an urgent rethink of the
>>"one-sided" policies of the Laotian Government and its
>>United Nations, World Bank and Asian Development Bank
>>advisers. Network investigators found "fundamental
>>problems" at all six projects visited - including
>>doubtful financial viability, uncontrolled logging and
>>growing mortality among tens of thousands of ethnic
>>minorities forced to resettle, often with little
>>compensation.
>>
>>Displaced Lao Theung women have become prostitutes for
>>dam workers in their ancestral lands close to Daewoo's
>>loss-making Houay Ho venture near Attapeu, the report
>>says, while warning of possible starvation at other
>>sites as fish ponds and farms are destroyed.
>>
>>"Far-reaching reforms are needed to ensure future
>>hydroelectric power development in Laos is in the best
>>interests of the whole country," the report says.
>>"Meanwhile, it is irresponsible of the Asian
>>Development Bank and the World Bank to be pushing
>>ahead with the funding of individual hydroelectric
>>power projects as 'aid'."
>>
>>The Government in Vientiane had intended selling much
>>of the power generated by the new dams to Thailand and
>>possibly Vietnam to pull in an estimated US$310
>>million (HK$2.4 billion) by 2010 - by far the
>>country's largest source of foreign exchange.
>>
>>But the collapse of the Thai baht sparked an even
>>greater fall in the Lao kip, forcing the Electricity
>>Generating Authority of Thailand to reassess future
>>demand estimates and renegotiate commitments to buy
>>3,000 megawatts of power by 2006.
>>
>>Vientiane's US$120 million Nam Leuk project is
>>expected to open later this year - some US$20 million
>>over budget in a loss-making market.
>>
>>Five other projects remain in doubt due to the
>>economic crash - a fact that has allowed crucial room
>>to manoeuvre in carving out new policies. In effect,
>>the study notes, engaging in a damage limitation
>>exercise to salvage one of the country's last untapped
>>hydroelectric power markets.
>>
>>Foreign Minister Somsavat Lengsavad called for more
>>purchases from his Thai counterpart Surin Pitsuwan
>>during a meeting last week, but final negotiations are
>>far off, according to insiders.
>>
>>"We will try to purchase the electricity as Laos has
>>suggested. But we should consider joint border
>>development areas as the first priority," Mr Surin
>>said in comments that did little to ease growing fears
>>in Vientiane.
>>
>>The report warns that the region's largest planned
> [...]

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
Aviva Imhof
South-East Asia Campaigner
International Rivers Network
1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley CA 94703 USA
Tel: + 1 510 848 1155 (ext. 312), Fax: + 1 510 848 1008
Email: aviva@irn.org, Web: http://www.irn.org

Dianne Murray, Coordinator/Webmistress
Dam-Reservoir Working Group; Ottawa, Canada
Dam-Reservoir Impacts and Information Archive
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/dams