dam-l LS: Conflicting Claims on Maheshwar and German utilities

Financial Times, April 27, 1999

Investors Quit Indian Project

Nancy Dunne, Washington

Two German utilities have withdrawn from India's controversial Maheshwar
Dam, leaving the future of India's first privately financed hydroelectric
project in question. The proposed dam, like many in the Narmada valley in
western India, has generated fierce opposition. Sixty-one villages and
20,000 people would be displaced.

Vereinigte Elektrizitatswerke Westfalen confirmed yesterday that it was no
longer involved with the project, while Bayernwerk of Bavaria said its
contracts with Shree Maheshwar Hydropower, which is to build and operate
the project, had run out and would only be renewed if authorities were to
provide good land for resettlement. the two utilities were to acquire 49
per cent of equity in the dam.