Re: dam-l dam deconstruction and the environment

Josh

Dave Gore of the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation's mid-Pacific region is the
manager of a project to deconstruct five small dams presently owned and
operated by the Pacific Gas and Electric Co. in the Battle Creek
watershed. Battle Cr flows off the western flanks of Mt. Lassen,
southeast of Redding, CA. Because the stream has a volcanic substrate it
has a remarkably large flow [the minimum flow in the mainstem is about
250 c.f.s.] for our Mediterranean climate. Dave is just beginning his
preliminary design work (funny term to apply to deconstruction, isn't
it?), will be doing environmental compliance work in the fall, will put
the job out in late winter/early spring, and hopes to begin
deconstruction in mid- to late-summer of 2000. If his address is like
everyone else's at USBR/Sacramento it should be dgore@mp.usbr.gov

 Bill Kier

Kier Associates

207 Second St., Ste B