dam-l LS: German press on Maheshwar/Narmada

Translated from newspaper "Die Zeit" 29.4.99

TURN-AROUND IN INDIA

Bayernwerk and VEW Withdraw from a Problematic Dam Project

by Wolfgang Hoffmann

A campaign shows results. Urgewald, one of 120 German non-governmental
organisations, working for the protection of human-rights, the environment
and socially acceptable development in the third world, achieved a
commendable victory. Two German companies, the utilities VEW and
Bayernwerk, cancelled their involvement in a controversial hydro-electric
dam in the Indian State of Madhya Pradesh. Joachim Adams, the speaker of
VEW's Board stated "We are no longer involved in the project and are also
not planning to become involved in the future."

Heffa Schücking, who visited the project area for Urgewald at the end of
last year and fears a social fiasco for the region, welcomed this decision.
However she calls it "a scandal" that Siemens and the HypoVereinsbank are
still involved in the project although they have been informed of its
massive problems.  Siemens however denies knowledge of these problems and
therefore declined to comment. Both Siemens and HypoVereinsbank retain
their interest in the project. They claim they will however only
participate if the environmental and resettlement problems can be
satisfactorily solved. A speaker of the Bank: It goes without saying that
we feel committed to the environmental standards of the World Bank."

The 400 megawatt power plant in Madhya Pradesh is part of a programme
entailing the construction of 30 large, 135 medium-sized and 3000 small
dams. 66 per cent of the privately financed Maheshwar project capital are
supposed to come from Germany. VEW and Bayernwerk aimed to each acquire
24.5 per cent of the equity; Siemens to acquire 17 per cent on a short-term
basis in return for the contract to supply turbines and generators. 257
million dollars of the total project costs estimated at 530 million
dollars, are to be financed through an export credit of the
HypoVereinsbank. Bonn was expected to provide official export (Hermes)  and
investment guarantees. An in-principle decision approval was granted by the
former German Government in 1997.

Whether this decision will be renewed is questionable. The red-green
coalition has stated its intent to orientate the support of German exports
to include ecological and social aspects. Development Minister, Heide-Marie
Wieczorek-Zeul, was so impressed by the Urgewald report on social erosion
threatening the local population through resettlement, that she promised
for her department "an appropriate consideration of ecological, social and
developmental concerns". Economics Minister Werner Müller gave a similar
response, but also had his Ministry write that the involved companies are
of the opinion that the resettlement problem "is not unsolvable".

According to Heffa Schücking's research, providing proof of this should be
difficult. She found that at a minimum 20,000 people, who for Indian
conditions are relatively prosperous, are to be ousted from their fertile
lands which provide three harvests annually. Due to its prosperity there is
practically no migration from this infrastructurally well-equipped region
to the cities.

As the resettlement plan only makes allowances for those families, who farm
land all-year round, the roughly  5000 people from other occupational
groups will lose their livelihoods without any substitute. Schücking also
questions wether there is sufficient land and land of comparable quality
available for the Indian resettlement plan. "We were shocked", she reports,
"that many of the lands listed for resettlement lie in the submergence zone
of the dam." She sees her scepticism confirmed, through the fact that none
of the 50 families who have been disappropriated to date have received
land-for-land compensation. If compensation were based on the true value of
the land, it is doubtful that the project would still be economically
viable. It is therefore more important than ever that Bonn definitively
withdraws from export subsidies for this project. Schücking: "This would
also be an international signal."

Translated from newspaper "die tageszeitung" 29.4.99:

DAM WITHOUT GERMANS

Utilities withdraw from Narmada Dam in India

Berlin - The first privately financed hydroelectric plant in India will
very likely not be built. The two energy companies VEW and Bayernwerk, that
were planning to acquire 49 per cent of the equity in the controversial
project, are dropping out. "We are no longer involved in the project and do
not plan becoming involved in the future" said Joachim Adams, the speaker
of VEW's board short and concisely. The press office of Bayernwerk confirms
that the contracts for the project with the Indian Project Company have run
out and would only be renewed if the resettlement of people from the flood
zone of the dam on new lands could be guaranteed.

The German environment organisation Urgewald had made public the completely
unresolved problems regarding the resettlement of 20,000 people. After her
visit to the State of Madhya Pradesh, Heffa Schücking, director of
Urgewald, stated for example, that lands slated for resettlement lie in the
submergence zone of the dam.

In India protests are amassing,  also against the German companies - next
to the utilities also Siemens and the HypoVereinsbank, without whom the
project could probably not be financed. The withdrawal of VEW and
Bayernwerk came during a hunger strike of seven dam opponents in India, who
today are entering the 18th day of their fast. Last weekend police arrested
five of the hunger strikers, who are now being force fed via infusion. For
the decision of the German utilities, the decisive factor was however
probably not so much the protests as the fact that they could not count on
Hermes guarantees from the new German Government. The red-green coalition
agreement envisages social and ecological criteria for guarantees.

Now Urgewald is fighting for a withdrawal of Siemens and the
HypoVereinsbank from the project. This effort is receiving support from the
USA. An ethical investment fund has acquired shares of the Bank and is also
creating pressure.

Nicola Liebert