dam-l A CALL FROM NARMADA VALLEY

A CALL FROM NARMADA VALLEY:
SATYAGRAHA FROM JUNE 20,1999
JOIN  PEOPLE'S ACTION TO CHALLENGE INJUSTICE, SUBMERGENCE

Dear Friends,

The waters of Narmada have become turbulent. And, in the monsoon this year,
the struggle for right to life  will be more intense. The rains will cause
the submergence of the villages and people affected by Sardar Sarovar dam
upto the level of 85 meters, plus the humps of three meters as a result of
the interim orders of the Supreme Court, making total submergence upto 88
meters. This would submerge the tribal belt in the ranges of Vindhyas and
Satpuda. Nearly 2500  families of the villages in Maharashtra, Madhya
Pradesh and those of Gujarat who  had returned back from the 'resettlement'
ghettos will be affected this year. The entire life, culture and dignity of
life are threatened with destruction. What kind of decision, pray?

The submergence is no doubt the most unjust. Those who had been displaced
earlier could not be resettled completely in a just manner. Where is the
land and other means of livelihood for those who are now being threatened
with submergence? And what about the basic and serious issues regarding the
'public purpose', claims of benefits, cost-benefit, environmental, social
and economic aspects of the project, which we have been raising for last
fourteen years?  What about the alternatives, sane and safe, decentralised
and sustainable and the paradigm of development that the people's movement
has brought forward? And, pray , what about the people's consent after an
informed evaluation about the project? The increase in the height of the
dam directly-indirectly violates  important preconditions, and even the
provisions of the tribunal.

The tribals and peasants on the banks of Narmada cannot tolerate more
injustice and destruction of their life and resources. To tolerate this
would mean giving a clean cheat for further destitution of the tribals,
dalits, peasants and urban poor in the name of development planning. It
would mean further impoverishment of the toilers of this country. The
people's will and their movements cannot be suppressed with the threats of
submergence. We can no more swallow every anti-people move  by the
powerholders, including the misuse of  law. We cannot see the tribals,
dalits, peasants and labourers in this country lose their whatever little
autonomy, resources and the modest but self-dependent life.

The people in the Narmada valley call unto you for a renewed solidarity in
this crucial phase. People in the villages will be confronting the
submergence waters in the form of 'Satyagraha' - the insistence on and
commitment to  Truth. The government and its agencies will not be able to
reach in all such places. Perhaps, they intend not to, leaving alone  the
people to face the stark reality of the submergence. The time has come to
take this non-violent struggle to its logical end.

We want you - the intellectuals, the social activists, organisations,
artists, dalits, tribals and all those who believe in their hearts of
hearts in the people's right to life and resources, democratic and human
norms - to stand in solidarity with us. The nation will see a unique
Satyagraha in this monsoon where the comrades-in-arms from various parts of
nation, struggling for justice or evolving alternative though constructive
work  along with the youth, children and senior people join in Narmada
valley struggle.

The 'Samarpit Dal' (Dedicated squad) will confront the waters. Even other
colleagues and supporters too will be a part of this challenge. We all are
insisting on that the Truth shall prevail and denounce the power-holders
trampling upon it.  We will challenge the untruth and strive to restore the
truth regarding people's rights.

The voice of the people in the valley may be suppressed with large scale
repression by the government unless friends like you won't allow this to
happen. In this hour of crisis we all want your participation, solidarity
in action. We call unto you to reach in the valley, organise whatever kind
of  help  for the struggle. Come for……

JEEVAN DARSHAN… Launching the Satyagraha on June 20, in Domkhedi
(Maharashtra) and  Jalsindhi ( M.P.),  on  both the banks of Narmada. Reach
here by the evening of 19th . To reassert the  right over the land, forest
and water and the life of generations together -before the submergence.

YUVA SAHAYOG… from June 21 to 27. Dialogue of the youths coming from
different area with the Satyagrahi villagers, meetings, discussions in
tribals villages, learning from the tribals how to build the house for
satyagrahis and much more.

JEEVAN YATRAS… from June 28. The marches through the villages from one end
to the other. The marchers would start either from Manibeli or from Kakrana
village, through the hills and forests and will reach at Satyagraha sites.
Those who wish to participate in this adventurous march must  reach Badwani
or Baroda offices of NBA...

And many such initiatives…the Satyagraha will continue entire monsoon
challenging the government and the submergence.

The next logical step of Satyagraha is - samarpan (sacrifice). If the
government does not desist from trampling upon the people's lives, the
movement will have to think of this step, with your support…

We are sure that you will immediately act, convey the seriousness of
situation to other friends, groups, organisations.

* Chittaroopa Palit     * Bava Muhariya * Noorji Padvi  * Dadlya Vasave

* Mahesh Sharma         * Seetaram Patidar      * Rukmini Patidar       *
Rehmat

* M.K.Sukumar   * Prabhubhai Tadvi      * Devram Kanera *  Medha Patkar

 Reach Badwani or Baroda by 19th June, or on previous date of these
programmes. Badwani is five hours   by bus from Baroda, Indore, Khandawa,
Dhule. Contact NBA, Baroda or Badwani.
Email: nba@lwbdq.lwbbs.net or medhap@bom5.vsnl.net.in