dam-l Announcing www.narmada.org

Dear friends,

As you are well aware, the controversy over large dams on the Narmada has
become one of the most important social issues in India today. In an
effort to disseminate information and present the perspective of people's
struggles on this issue, we have created a new site,
http://www.narmada.org. Through this site, we will endeavour to keep you
informed of the activities in the valley, the developing issues and
provide an informed perspective on the debate. I would request each one of
you to take a look and to visit this site periodically. Please do also
forward this message to your friends who would be interested in this
struggle.

With the arrival of monsoon in India, the Andolan faces perhaps the
greatest challenge till date. This monsoon as many as 2000 tribals
families may lose their homes and lands. Satyagraha has already begun in
the Narmada Valley and people are firmly resolved to stay and assert their
right over their lands and their homes. At this juncture, it is important
that we come together in solidarity with the Andolan and help in
mobilising public opinion on this matter. If you are interested in lending
a hand, organising an event or in visiting the valley to express your
support, please send me (venu@cfar.umd.edu) a note. In the weeks to come,
your help will be critical.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours,

Venu Govindu

They who have put out the people's eyes, reproach them of their blindness

							      John Milton