RE: dam-l Canadian Dams and Reservoirs (fwd)

Tim,

Here are a few thoughts.  As I think about it I wonder whether the kind of
thing you are looking for even exists.  Many reservoirs were created prior
to GIS, and therefore what may have been forested area is now classified as
water in GIS.

1) You might try individual hydro companies.  This might capture most of the
major reservoirs if you started with BC Hydro, Ontario Hydro and Hydro
Quebec.  I'm not sure whether all would be amenable to providing that
information, or whether they have it, but that's where I'd try first.

You did mention that you wanted it in GIS format, but is that essential.
Some work we did on Arrow Lakes Reservoir used curves relating water surface
elevation to reservoir area.  Knowing the original lake elevation and the
maximum elevation one could then find flooded area.  In other cases where a
river valley was turned into a reservoir you could subtract an estimate of
pre-impact wetted area from the maximum pool surface area to derive flooded
area.  These curves (hypsographic curves I think) may be more available for
some reservoirs.

2) For some larger systems Canadian Hydrographic Service has produced charts
(e.g. in BC Kootenay Lake, Arrow Lakes Reservoir, and I believe also
Williston Reservoir).  However I think their is a higher price for
electronic maps.

Hope this helps.  Contact me directly if I can help with any information
concerning BC.

Steve McAdam

Steven McAdam, M.Sc.
Senior Hydroelectric Impacts Biologist