dam-l 40 MW, low head, run-of-river dam

Hello Dianne,

Glacier Power Ltd. of Calgary is proposing the construction of a 40 MW, low head, run-of-river dam 3 km upstream of the Dunvegan bridge near Fairview, Alberta.  I can't find any information on low head, run-of-river dams on the Internet or at the Public Library.  The council for the Municipal District of Fairview is dancing with joy over this.  As an environmental activist, should I be concerned about this dam?  Do you have any information on the environmental effects caused by dams of this type?

Thank you.

Shelley Skrepnek