dam-l LS: First Meeting Between Pehuenches and Enersis

***

CHIP NEWS

***

Date: July 19, 1999

Subject:  First Meeting Between Pehuenches and Enersis      Sources: El Mercurio, La Tercera

***

FIRST MEETING BETWEEN PEHUENCHES

AND ENERSIS

For the first time in the ongoing conflict over the construction of the hydroelectric Ralco dam in southern Region VIII, indigenous leaders of the upper Bio Bio area have agreed to speak to a top executive of energy-sector holding company Enersis, which is building the dam through its affiliate, power firm Endesa.

Some 91 indigenous Pehuenche families have been

protesting the construction of the Ralco dam, which would

flood 3,467 hectares of land where they live. Pehuenche

leaders Berta and Nicholasa Quintraman agreed Friday to

meet with Endesa Planning Manager Martin Madrid July 27, though this date is still to be confirmed.

Nicholasa Quitraman said the intention of the meeting would be to discuss the company's offer of alternative land for the relocation of the families. She said, "we won't leave our mother land as long as we live." Until now the National

Indigenous Development Commission said 70 families have agreed to the relocation sites. However, Pehuenches

protesting the construction of the dam said only 18 families

had agreed to the terms.

Spanish energy giant Endesa Espana, owners of the project through their affiliate Enersis, maintained it had agreed with 292 families, directly or indirectly affected by the project, to invest US$22 million in a relocation plan.

*Chip News*

*****

Monti Aguirre

Latin American Campaigns

International Rivers Network

1847 Berkeley Way

Berkeley, CA. 94703 USA

Phone:	 510 . 848.11.55 and 707 . 591 .91.49

Fax:	 510 . 848.10.08

e-mail:  monti @irn.org