dam-l LS: Letter to K.R.Narayanan from Admiral Ramdas

Admiral L. Ramdas
(Former Chief of the Naval Staff)
PO Kamarle
Alibag - 402201

Lalita Ramdas
Raigad Dist.
Educator and Social
Activist                                                 Maharashtra

Dr K.R.Narayanan
The Honourable President of India
RASHTRAPATI  BHAVAN
NEW DELHI

Fax +91 (011) 3014570, +91 (011) 3017290

Dear Dr Narayanan,

1. This is an SOS to request you to intervene and save the many members
of the NBA  Narmada Bachao Andolan) including Medha Patkar, whose
submersion seems imminent in view of their  decision to immerse
themselves - [Jal Samarpan]  - as the rapidly rising waters submerge the
lands and homes of thousands of our people.

2. This can be done by you ordering a halt on the continued work on the
dam as recently authorised by the Supreme Court of India. This is a
question of the lives and futures of thousands of citizens ñ and
legalese must give way to considerations which are humanitarian.

3. You might well ask why a retired Chief of Indiaís Navy has decided to
express himself in this matter? We believe that it is time for many more
like myself ñ people who have been privileged to enjoy the benefits of
all that this country has offered to a small exclusive segment of her
people ñ to raise our voices and stand up and be heard on behalf of the
millions who remain voiceless as India marches into the new Millenium.

4. While many more persons now stand to be displaced - or drowned - due
to the construction on the dam since February, people who have
supposedly been rehabilitated in the past are facing countless severe
problems.  An enquiry into the plight of those that the project is
driving into destitution must be initiated immediately.

5. It is a sad commentary on our priorities as a nation, that while we
have been united in our support to the brave jawans fighting on the
barren slopes of Kargil, we are unwilling and unable to muster even a
modicum of concern for other fighters who have also been waging a
different kind of war, a just war, to conserve and preserve their lands,
their homes, their way of life and the forests of this same Bharat Mata.

Since time is of the essence, we implore you to act immediately.

L Ramdas    Lalita Ramdas