dam-l LS: Now: Your support/word/care is important

"We got together to organize so we would not be forced to abandon our

lands.  We never want to leave our lands."  Rosario Huentiao from Mapu

Domuche Nehuen ("Women with the Strength of the Earth", a group of women

who would be affected by Ralco dam.)

URGENT ACTION

July 22, 1999

Dear Friends:

Please support the Pehuenche indigenous peoples rights to preserve their

land and culture. They are currently fighting construction of the 570MW,

US$500mn Ralco Dam on the Biobo River in Chile. Eight families continue to

refuse negotiating their land exchanges with Endesa, and wish to remain on

their lands.

Endesa Spain executives will meet indigenous and environmental leaders on

July 27 to discuss the construction of the dam. We are concerned tha dam

officilas will not respect the Pehuenches' rights and will try to coerce

the eight remaining families to accept compensation and move from their

lands for the project.

We ask that you write a support letter asking Endesa officials to respect

the Pehuenches' rights.

If you can write it by July 27 that would be great, if not still your

letters are needed.

Thank you,

Monti Aguirre

International Rivers Network

***

SAMPLE LETTER:

Date

*Mr.  Martn Villa,

President

ENDESA España

Madrid, España

Fax: +34-91- 563 81 81

and

*Mr. Pablo Yrarrzabal

General Manager

ENDESA España

Santiago, Chile

Fax: +56-2-635-3788

Dear Mr. Villa and Mr. Yrarrázabal:

I am writing to express my full support for the Pehuenche families who

refuse to give away their lands, and oppose the construction of Ralco and

other dams on the Biobio River in Chile.  I urge you to listen to the

Pehuenche and respect their position and their right to their land and

culture.

Several international commissions and tribunals have seriously questioned

the way in which Endesa Chile has proceeded with the construction for the

Ralco dam on the Biobio, including the International Finance Corporation

of the World Bank (Hair, July 1977) and  the Human Rights Committee of the

American Anthropological Association (March 1998).

I also urge you to revise and update the studies done by the Chilean

Energy Commission which indicate that the energy  expected to be provided

by Ralco could be obtained through a mix of natural gas, conservation, and

energy efficiency.

I am in full solidarity with the Pehuenche who wish to remain in their

lands, and urge you to stop construction of the Ralco Dam.

Sincerely,

*****

BACKGROUND:

Ralco, a 570 MW - 155 meters (510 feet) high dam is one of five dams

planned to be built in the Upper Biobo River, Chile. The Ralco project

will cost US$500 million, and will create a 13 square mile (3,400

hectares) reservoir.

The dam and its reservoir will:

- Force a total of 600 people from their homes.

- Displace 400 Pehuenche indigenous people whose ancestral home is the

upper Biobo.

- Significantly contribute to the deterioration of the traditional

Pehuenche culture (in all, the five dams planned for the Biobo River would

force the relocation of 1,000 Pehuenches, 20% of the survivors of this

ancient culture).

The dam and its reservoir will:

-Drown 3,400 hectares of native forest. These forests contain the rare

araucaria tree, which is central to the cultural and physical survival of

the Pehuenche.

-Threaten 27 species of mammals, 10 species of amphibians, 9 species of

reptiles and 8 species of fish (E.G., Andean fox, puma, southern sea

otter, black-necked swan, peregrine falcon and the national bird of Chile,

the Andean Condor).

-Increase access to logging (new roads have already led to an 8% increase

in logging per year in the region

-Subject 1,400 hectares of denuded reservoir banks to erosion and

landslides.

The Biobo, Chile's second longest river, is 240 miles long. On its way

from the Andes to the Pacific, the Biobo flows over 100-foot high

waterfall, down narrow canyons, and through forests of araucaria pine and

Andean cypress. The river has long been a mecca for whitewater rafters.

The upper Biobo is the spiritual and physical home to the Pehuenches who

have largely retained their ancestral culture.

Empresa Nacional de Electricidad, S.A. (ENDESA), Chile's private electric

utility and the project company, controls 60% of Chile's electric power

production. A subsidiary of Endesa, Pangue S.A. built the first dam on the

Biobo River, called Pangue Dam. Endesa Chile did not fulfill the

environmental and social obligations of its loan agreement with the

International Finance Corporation (IFC) for the Pangue project, and

colluded with IFC in the cover-up of two reports highly critical of their

role in the project. The Committee for Human Rights of the American

Anthropological Association has called on the Chilean Government to stop

the forcible resettlement of the Pehuenche and the construction of the

Ralco Dam.

Alternatives: Studies by Chile's Energy Commission and other prestigious

international organizations indicate that the energy expected to be

provided by Ralco could be obtained through a mix of natural gas,

conservation, and energy efficiency.

Spanish giant Endesa España now owns 60 percent of  Endesa Chile.

****

Please send a copy of your letter to:

monti@irn.org and gabb@reuna.cl

***

For more information write to:

Monti Aguirre

International Rivers Network

e-mail: monti@irn.org

phone (510) 848-1155

fax (510) 848-1008

Thank You.

Monti Aguirre

Latin American Campaigns

International Rivers Network

1847 Berkeley Way

Berkeley, CA. 94703 USA

Phone:	 510 . 848.11.55 and 707 . 591 .91.49

Fax:	 510 . 848.10.08

e-mail:  monti @irn.org