dam-l LS: Endesa-Espana Still Undecided on Ralco Project

***

Date: July, 1999

Subject: Endesa-Espana Still Undecided on Ralco Project

Source: Women with the Strength of the Earth

***

Endesa-Espana Still Undecided on Ralco Project

Endesa Director Francisco Garcia holds meeting with Pehuenche women of Mapu Domuche Nehuen

The new general manager of Endesa Chile, Francisco Garcia, promised in a meeting held Tuesday, July 27 at Endesa headquarters that in September the company would decide whether to continue with the Ralco project. He said Endesa would communicate that decision to those Pehuenche who attended the meeting.

In an important declaration, Garcia said that Endesa Espana has not deeply analyzed the Ralco problem and that, contrary to what the press has reported recently, the most important contracts for the dam have not yet been granted.

However, Garcia said that since construction on the dam has not begun, he did not want to commit to an immediate suspension of the project, as we the Pehuenche women of Mapu Domuche Newen have asked.

We the Pehuenche women took the opportunity to deliver to Garcia a file of official documents that detail irregularities of the Ralco project, including the book of the former director of CONADI, Domingo Namuncura.

Once more we told Endesa that we would not give up our lands, that we are willing to struggle until the final consequences, and that we will not permit the construction of the Ralco hydroelectric dam.

MAPU DUMUCHE NEHUEN - Women with the Strength of the Earth

Nicolasa Quintreman

Berta Quintreman

Sara Imilmaqui

Agustin Correa

Jeannette Paillan

Lulul Mawidha

Phone/fax: 562-2714845

paillan@chilesat.net

Address:

Americo Vespucio 1587, Dpto. 14

Macul

Santiago - Chile

Monti Aguirre

Latin American Campaigns

International Rivers Network

1847 Berkeley Way

Berkeley, CA. 94703 USA

Phone:	 510 . 848.11.55 and 707 . 591 .91.49

Fax:	 510 . 848.10.08

e-mail:  monti @irn.org