dam-l LS: Dam protesters at risk from drowning

RASI SALAI DAM

Protesters at risk from drowning
Anchalee Kongrut
Bangkok Post 10th Sept 1999

The Department of Energy Development and Promotion has warned local
protesters who have settled and built shacks in the middle reservoir of Rasi
Salai Dam that they are at risk from drowning as the department is to start
operating flood gates soon.

Director-general Itthi Bijayendrayodhin told reporters yesterday that the
department would close the flood gates of Rasi Salai Dam, built across the
Moon river in Si Sa Ket, by the end of the rainy season for water
conservation for agriculture in the dry season.

This operation poses a risk to 500 villagers, protesting under the umbrella
of the Forum of the Poor, who currently occupy the reservoir land.

The group previously received compensation over displacement by the dam but
are continuing their protest to help relatives in the Moon Basin
Forum-another group of 600 villagers settled nearby, who are seeking
compensation.

"We will close the flood gates as planned. Any damage to protesters'
properties will be dealt with through legal procedures," said Mr Itthi.

Prasittiporn Kan-onsri, an adviser to the Forum of the Poor, said villagers
would not be moved by the threat.

"Whatever happens we will not move out from the reservoir. We will survive
somehow," he said.

The department has maintained that the forest and land along the river banks
is public property.

A study by a Khon Kaen University lecturer revealed villagers have been
using the wetland forest along the Moon river for generations because the
land is rich with sediment from seasonal flooding.

An additional 315 million baht was earmarked to compensate villagers whose
homes and land were affected by the dam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chainarong Sretthachau
Southeast Asia Rivers Network(SEARIN)
25/5 Moo 2