dam-l NBA Update & Letter from PM to Medha - 24-9-99

Dear Friends,

Indefinite program to start at Dhule (Maharashtra ) from tomorrow while all
those
arrested are still in jail including Medha. More than 300 people from
the valley will be reaching Dhule by tomorrow. The demands of the
Dharna (sit in) are: 1. Release all those arrested immediately &
unconditionally. 2. Senior Govt official of Maharashtra to come for a
dialogue with the people. 3. The Govt. of maharashtra should survey the
damage caused by the submergence and pay damages. 4. Revoke the section
144 from Akrani taluka, are the main ones.

Additional Secretary from the Prime Ministers office Ms. Aditi Mehta visited
the jail and met everyone with a letter from the PM addressed to Medha.
She was accompanied by the secretary of rehabilitation, Maharashtra and Dhule
collector. The meeting in the jail lasted for two hours. The letter is as
below:

                        PRIME MINISTER

                                                        New Delhi,
                                                        September 22, 1999.
Dear Medhaji,

I have been disturbed by the recent reports in the Media that you and
your colleagues in the narmada bachao Andolan have expressed the
intention to offer Jal Samarpan in an attempt to focus attention on the
rehabilitation and Resettlement (R&R) measures to be taken by the party
states to the Narmada dispute.

As you are aware, the R&R measures for the Project Affected Persons are
primarily the responsibility of the concerned States.  However, keeping
in view the enormous human problems associated with large-scale
displacement, a number of mechanisms to monitor the implementation of
the R&R measures have been put in place.  An independent Grievance
Redressal Authority headed by Shri.P.D.Desai, retired Chief Justice of
Calcutta, Himachal Pradesh and Mumbai High Courts is also reporting to
the Supreme Court on these measures.

No one can dispute that the displacement of people from their lands and
their communities leads to tremendous upheaval in their lives.  Hence
there is a need for great sensitivity in conceptualising and
implementing appropriate R&R schemes.  While it is not easy to do this
to the complete satisfaction of the affected people, we are trying to
ensure the best possible rehabilitation package for them.  I assure you
that we will continue this process.

You will agree with me that the issue of the Narmada project is highly
complex and is not amenable to any facile solution.  At this juncture,
we need the involvement of  dedicated and continued social activists
such as you. I would appeal to you not to undertake any course of action
which could involve risk to your life or to the lives of your
colleagues.

With best wishes,

                                                Yours Sincerely,

                                    		Sd/-
                 		                  (A.B.Vajpayee)

Ms. Medha Patkar,
Narmada Bachao Andolan.

The rehabilitation secretary was bad and said, R&R can be done, there is
land, etc. People confronted him. A delegation of our Dhule support
group also met Ms. Aditi Mehta.

Today's Times of India reports that a delegation had met the President and
had appealed to him to use his powers under the constitution to protect the
rights of the tribals in the Narmada valley- this reference was of the
delegation
that met him in Delhi on 20th of this month. The news says that the
President is said to
have instructed the Prime Minister's office to look into the matter and
this has caused Gujarat State lot of alarm and so there was a close door
meeting by Jay Narayan Vyas, Narmada Minister, GOG, and it was decided
to send a delegation of Gujarat NGOs to meet the President and tell
him to keep away from this issue as this is the Project that brings
water to the thirsty regions of Gujarat and that the rehabilitation done
is excellent.  The report further adds that it was decided to send the
delegation under the leadership of Chunibhai Vaidya - a Gandhian and
other pro-dam activists like Mr. Gautam Thakkar of People's Union for
Civil Liberties, Gujarat Chamber of Commerce, etc.

It seems that the pressure on the President is working somewhat and it
should be continued.

More later.

Nandini & Sukumar.