dam-l WCD study on gender and dams

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

We are currently involved in writing a paper for the WCD on gender and dams.
We hope to write a comprehensive paper focussing on the nexus between gender
and several  aspects  of  dams (e.g. environmental impacts, displacement,
equity, compensation, R  and R policies, downstream impacts, beneficiaries
of canal irrigation, indigenous peoples).  Specifically, the study aims at
analysing the ways large large dams projects have affected gender balances
and gender roles and relationships in project impacts areas and analyse
changes in the nature of women's access to and control over resources. The
analysis of these issues would lead to the formulation of principles,
guidelines and approaches for an appropriate treatment of gender dimensions,
for improving women's participation in decision-making principles and for
enhancing gender equity in both policy and practice.

As most of you are aware, there has not been much work on gender and dams
and there is very little empirical material on the subject. We have some
empirical illustrations from the South Asian context (primarily from our own
research) and would welcome any case study material from other geographical
contexts. If you are aware of any studies on this subject, or of researchers
or activists working in this field, please be in touch.

Thank very much in advance and looking forward to hearing from you.

Lyla Mehta and Bina Srinivasan

Dr Lyla Mehta
Research Fellow
Environment and Development
Institute of Development Studies
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9RE
UK
Tel: 44-1273-678736 (direct) and 606261 (w); 683046 (h)
Fax:               621202/691647
email: L.Mehta@ids.ac.uk