dam-l Children Talk about Lesotho Dam/LS

The following essays by children affected by Katse Dam in Lesotho were sent
to IRN by Transformation Resource Centre in Lesotho. The essays appeared in
their latest issue of "Work for Justice." For more information, please
contact TRC by email at:  <trc@celine.adelfang.co.za>.

Sorry for cross postings.

>>The Way That the LHWP Changed the Way My Family Lives
>>
>>There is nothing better than eating without working.  Mosotho!  You did not
>>work for yourself, but something still fell into your hands.
>>In my family there was a sewing machine, but nobody knew how to use it.  We
>>had to hire a person who knew how it worked.  We were paying her a lot of
>>money.  Fortunately, LHDA came and took one member of our family to trade
>>school to learn to sew.  We did not pay anything for her to go there.  So
>>then that person who was using the machine had to go back to her place.
>>My family had fields near the river.  We were plowing them, but we never
>>produced enough grain.  The project has satisfied us, though.  We used to
>>get five tins from two fields but LHDA is giving us more than five tins.
>>It is giving us beans (which we did not plant before).  May they help
>>everyone.
>>Lukase, Sepinare PS, Standard 7
>>
>>There is nothing worse than working hard at something and then having
>>something come and destroy it.  We were satisfied with the way we were
>>working.  We were plowing maize and beans.  We were eating fresh maize.  We
>>had trees.  We had firewood and people were buying it from us.  We were
>>getting money and we were able to go to school.
>>When LHDA came and destroyed everything that was important to my family, we
>>started to become poor.  The dam took our fields and our trees.  That was
>>the end of our money.
>>We needed to look hard to find enough money for us to attend school.  We
>>were given maize, beans, and a little money, but it is not as much as we
>>were producing before.  That was the end of our fire and fresh maize.
>>Now, when I look at the dam, I still get very angry.
>>Mpho, Sepinare PS, Standard 7
>>
>>My family was affected by the LHDA like this; our field was taken when they
>>constructed the road.  Now the cars are killing our animals.  They are
>>giving us compensation of maize and beans each year, but they bring that
>>maize late.  In October.  When that compensation arrives it finds us eating
>>nothing, starving, still asking ourselves when compensation will come.  So
>>they should make sure that they bring that compensation food in time.  They
>>should try to bring beans that can be cooked easily and also good maize.
>>We want to eat like other people.
>>Ramathaleha, Bethesda PS, Standard 5
>>
>>My moecause now we are eating when we did not plow.  We are living where we
>>did not build.  They have built us toilets.  They have built us a clinic.
>>They built us a trade school at Thaba-Tseka.  My sister now knows how to
>>knit.  They have constructed us roads and a football field.  They helped us
>>with electricity near the roads.
>>Malefu, Malibamatso PS, Standard 6
>>
>>The dam has taken our fields.  Now we are living a difficult life.  The dam
>>has also taken our pastures.  We now have no place where our animals can
> [...]

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
        and Editor, World Rivers Review
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org