dam-l Asmal Addresses Southern African NGOs/LS

from WCD web site www.dams.org:

       WCD Chair Addresses Southern African NGOs
       Waterfront, Cape Town
       Thursday 11 November 1999

       Speech by Professor Kader Asmal - Chairperson, World
       Commission on Dams, and Minister of Education in South
       Africa (previously Minister of Water Affairs and Forestry
       1994-99) - at a Reception for the Southern African NGO
       Meeting on Dams

       Thank you for this opportunity to address you tonight. Before I begin I
       would like to welcome all those who have travelled from outside of Cape
       Town to our beautiful city. I also want to thank the Environmental
       Monitoring Group for organising this most useful workshop, and also Joji
       Cariาo, one of our World Commission on Dams Commissioners, for making
       it a priority in her busy schedule.

       I'm sorry I could not attend more of your meetings today - my more
recent
       obligations as South Africa's Minister of Education have kept me
very busy
       - however the Commission secretariat has kept me informed and I am
       encouraged by the calibre of discussion here. We consider this meeting
       sufficiently important that we're taping all these proceedings, for
       immediate reference by those who could not attend and for our
       video/audio archive, as part of the WCD's legacy to the global
community.

       One of the major benefits of consultations such as these together
with the
       work style of the Commission is that we are doing things about the South
       in the South. To our knowledge the World Commission on Dams is the
       only international organisation with headquarters in Southern
Africa. For
       once we do not to have to fly away from this continent, to Geneva or to
       New York, to discuss the challenges in Africa.

       As many of you know I'm very familiar with the dilemmas posed by dams
       and other water resource management issues, having been Water Affairs
       and Forestry Minister in South Africa's first post-apartheid government.
       We have made the issues of human rights and safeguarding the
       environment the cornerstones of our new water legislation in this
country.
       I appreciate the degree to which those concerns have informed your
       discussions here today.

       The World Commission on Dams has a important two-year mandate, a long
       road to travel in a relatively short time. We will complete our
global review of
       dams by March 2000, then write our final report by August 2000. We want
       to know how effective large dams have been in delivering a range of
       development benefits including: … the benefits anticipated when a
project
       was conceived 10, 20, even 50 years ago; and … the benefits one would
       expect of a dam built today, with an emphasis on the need for those
       benefits to be economically, environmentally, and socially sustainable
       over the long term, and equitably shared.

       We can only assess those benefits through in-depth consultation with
       people and organisations such as those that you represent. It is the
       degree to which the WCD consults with the various interests in the dams
       debate that sets it apart from other world commissions which have cost a
       great deal but often have left barely a ripple in their wake.

       People often ask me, "If the WCD is not part of the UN, and it's not
part of
       the World Bank, then who gave you your mandate and who will listen to
       you?" This again is what sets us apart. Our mandate is based in the
       changing global context in which governments no longer make public
       policy single-handedly, be it in national parliament or at the
United Nations.
       It recognises that civil society and the private sector also play a
vital role
       and thus must also be part of the process.

       Our mandate comes from the recognised leaders in the dams debate.
       That means, governments; anti-dam campaigners active on social and
       environmental issues; financiers and donors; academics, utilities,
       engineering firms, and irrigation interests. Those most closely
involved are
       listed as WCD Forum members in our brochure, which is available here.

       The fact that the WCD engages with all these sides, at all levels,
and not
       just with the 'usual suspects' in the elite of the international
development
       sector, has encouraged widespread 'buy in' to the WCD process.
       Consultation is a key element of our work programme and lends to the
       WCD process a high degree of legitimacy with stakeholders. We anticipate
       that the inclusiveness of our process also will encourage serious
       consideration and acceptance of our final report and therefore
widespread
       adoption of our recommendations. So there is method to what some
       consider the 'madness' of the WCD's exhaustive global consultation
       programme. Let me describe how progress in terms of our four-part work
       programme.

       We embarked on 10 WCD sponsored case studies of individual dams and
       their respective river basins across the globe. In Africa we've
studied the
       Gariep and Van der Kloof Dams on the Orange River, as a pilot study to
       establish methodology for the rest of our case studies. Our main African
       study is of the Kariba Dam and the Zambezi river basin. The dam
straddles
       Zambia and Zimbabwe and its history offers unique lessons regarding
       transnational water-sharing and water resource development; in
       environmental and ecological impacts; and in resettlement issues. The
       scope of the Kariba study, like all case studies, was developed
through a
       stakeholder meeting in the immediate vicinity of the dam, to ensure
       grassroots participation. The consultants, who are Zambian and
       Zimbabwean nationals, are conducting the study through broad-based
       consultation in the field. Their draft report will be submitted to
the original
       stakeholder group for discussion in January.

       Secondly there are 17 thematic review studies involving over 500 people
       grouped under five themes: social, environmental, economic, and
       institutional issues related to dams and an assessment of options in
       delivering services usually provided by dams. Each review is being
       systematically developed by a group of experts from across the globe and
       from across the spectrum of opinion, and then will be subjected to peer
       review by a similarly representative group of experts and
stakeholders. In
       the case of displacement and resettlement issues a workshop was
       convened so that indigenous peoples and ethnic minorities gathered in
       Geneva in July for a major UN meeting could contribute directly to
our draft
       paper on those issues.

       Thirdly, we have a submissions and consultation process. We accept
       submissions from anyone, on any topic related to dams, although we
       would prefer submissions that were geared toward the various aspects of
       our work programme. So far we have received over 400 submissions from
       across the globe. The single most dominant theme is the environmental
       impact of dams. Overall, most submissions have been made in relation to
       our regional consultations, held thus far in South Asia and Latin
America.
       Our Africa/Middle East consultation will be held in Cairo December 8 and
       9. For that meeting we've received or been promised over 60 submissions
       from across the two regions. Some of the emergent themes are: food
       security and social impacts of irrigation; shared river basin
management;
       ecosystem impacts of dams; and demand management as a water
       conservation approach.

       Out of this huge body of research will come our final report. Of
course, I
       can't pre-judge or pre-empt that final report by telling you what
we'll say. I
       don't know as yet what we'll say. But everywhere we go, with everyone we
       meet, we are hearing a few messages, themes, principles repeated.

       One is that there is a place for dams in development, particularly
in Africa
       [referring here to the WWF paper, Maurice Strong's statement & Orange
       River stakeholder meeting]. They just have to be conceived of and
       developed in the right way. What's the right way?

       Firstly, the debate should not begin with a politician or engineer
saying,
       "We need a dam and it will deliver the following services: flood
control,
       irrigation, hydropower, urban water supply." Instead, the discussion
       should start with the statement, "We need XYZ services, now what is the
       best means of realising those needs?" Often a dam is only one of the
       options. Others may include effective management of water demand, an
       issue close to my own heart. One of the roles of interested
organisations
       is to make sure that governments first decide on the desired ends,
rather
       than the means.

       Secondly, the errors of the past must be acknowledged so they are not
       repeated. In South Africa, forced removals to make way for the
Gariep and
       Vanderkloof dams were just another aspect of apartheid. When we held
       our final stakeholder meeting in relation to our Orange River pilot
study,
       displaced black and coloured farmworkers remembered how they were
       told, at very short notice, to pack up and leave farms, many having
to live
       by the roadside for weeks. They lost their livestock, sold for
nothing when
       grazing became unavailable. Some displaced people recognised the
       value of the dams to the regional economy, while pointing out how much
       they suffered so that part of society could enjoy the benefits from the
       dam.

       The benefits must be shared more equitably and dams must be designed
       to reduce negative impacts to the greatest extent possible. Displacement
       and resettlement must be viewed as a development opportunity,
       improving the lives of those who have had to make way for a dam.
This can
       only be done effectively if those negatively affected by dams have a
       strong say in resettlement/development programmes organised in their
       name. You may be surprised to hear that dam developers and planners
       increasingly recognise the logic of these objectives. The financial
cost of
       coping with negative social and environmental impacts of dams has
       become a branch of dam economics, a make-or-break factor for many
       projects.

       Inherent in all the above is the need for broad-based consultation
on dam
       projects. This is where many of you come in. Civil society must be
involved
       in and monitor every level of a proposed dam project, or any major
       development project for that matter: … to be sure all options are
assessed,
       not just the dam option; … to ensure the economics of a project are
solid
       and that the country is not saddled with unsustainable debt loads or
water
       tariffs to pay for a dam; … to ensure that costs to cover dam operation,
       monitoring, and, ultimately, decommissioning are factored into initial
       decision-making; … to ensure the benefits from a dam are shared
equitably;
       … and to ensure the whole process is transparent, particularly the
bidding
       and contracting process.

       On that last point I'd like mention that we are in a partnership with
       Transparency International, an anti-corruption NGO that just held
its global
       congress in Durban. We have invited their help in addressing
corruption in
       large infrastructure projects such as dams. Transparency
International is
       eager that its ideas on eliminating corruption be given life through
WCD's
       final report.

       In conclusion our final report will offer the world the first set of
criteria,
       guidelines, and standards against which dam projects, and their
       alternatives, can be assessed. With little modification they should
be able
       to do the same for other major development projects.

       As a former Water Affairs Minister, I can assure you that this is
what we
       need because we have no standard against which to judge hugely
       expensive dam proposals. All we have had is the clamouring of those who
       wanted to build dams and those who wanted to stop them. Most parties in
       the dams debate, from the World Bank to NGOs to national governments
       to private sector financiers, want a level playing field on which
the quality of
       a project, rather than the influence of those for it or against it,
becomes the
       basis of its acceptance or rejection.

       The challenge for civil society is to be both a watchdog on
projects, and
       also to propose solutions with regard to the difficult choices we
face in the
       very arid southern African region. Water is precious, scarce, and in
many
       countries, inequitably divided. It is a potential source of
conflict. The WCD
       is an example of how, working together, we can develop better local and
       regional approaches to water management, be it via dams or other
       options.

       I invite you to stay tuned to the WCD. Watch out for our final
report. And
       we hope you will be among those who make it a 'living document' that
will
       influence policy-making and delivery on this essential aspect of water
       resource management, for years to come.

       Thank you.

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
        and Editor, World Rivers Review
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org