dam-l Re: Three Gorges Damn Project in China

> ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BF3018.1AE18980
>
> I came to your site looking for information on tha above-captioned =
> subject and was appalled that no one word is said in your webb site =
> about this mammoth series of damns whose environmental, socio-economic =
> and population impacts have been the subject of much controversy...Could =

Well, what can I say - this guy must not know that the Yangtze River is the site of TGP.

So here it is folks, excerpted from the FROMNT PAGE of ythe site.

*sigh*

some people's children!

Time for a reality check! Flooding arable land like the Narmada and Yangtze valleys
     when every second of every day the world is fast losing our topsoil and arable land per
     person, to erosion and other factors, in lands where they need all the food they can get
     is a *benefit*?? No, it is not a benefit. Shortsightedness at best. Greed and corruption at
     worst. Which? It does not matter.

     The saying goes: "If it ain't broke don't fix it.." Our planet and our oceans are
     "overdosing" on water development. It is broken - we need to fix it. It is possible to
     overdo things...

     The science is in on this one: people, fish, habitat and economies are paying a heavy
     price for this foolish lack of moderation. Development needs to be sensible, not
     foolhardy.

     It doesn't have to be this way... there are ways around these things. But that takes
     spine and the courage and the vision to change. Will the promoters lead the way to
     change?? I wouldn't bet on it.

     Is that a dare? Absolutely! ;-> It's time to change and use our resources wisely... not just
     blunder along blindly just because it's "always been done this way". The Hoover dam is
     not that old a tradition. :-)

     -Dianne Murray, Sepember 09, 1999.

*ahem*

OK Carlos? Got it?

This is aa worldwide problem.

We are having computer difficulties.

I have no funding as yet.

OPIRG is affiliated with Carleton but that doesn't mean they
kick us any money.

> you guide me where can I find information about all those impacts?  (I =
> also visited the World Bank world site but could find only few and far =
> and between mentions to the project)...
>
> Thank for your help!!

well, I'll see what I can do.  I suggest you contact Dr. Yegang Wu
and Grainne Ryder...

I'll send contact info via private mail.

irked,
-Dianne