dam-l Fwd: LS: World Bank Response to SSP Sign-on Letter

--

--------- Forwarded Message ---------

DATE: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:24:25
From: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net

Here is the response from the World Bank to the NGO sign-on letter which
called on the Bank to assume its responsibility for the impacts of the
Sardar Sarovar Project.

November 19, 1999

Mr. Paul Wolvekamp
Both ENDS
Netherlands

Mr. Patrick McCully
International Rivers Network
USA

Dear Messrs. Wolvekamp and McCully,

I would like to thank you for your letter to Mr. Wolfensohn, dated November
2, 1999, regarding the Sardar Sarovar Project. We are concerned over the
resettlement situation described in your letter and would appreciate it if
you would send us a copy of the NGO fact finding team's report on their
visit to the Narmada Valley.

We are not presently providing any financial assistance to the Sardar
Sarovar dam and irrigation projects, the Narmada Sagar dam and irrigation
project, or any other project which is part of the Narmada Valley
Development Project, nor do we intend to do so in the future.

I intend to take up the findings of the NGO team in the Narmada Valley with
the Government of India. I would also like to assure you that the Bank has
in the past and will continue to urge the Government of India to meet its
obligations regarding the people affected by the Sardar Sarovar Project.

Sincerely,

Edwin R. Lim
Country Director, India

--------- End Forwarded Message ---------