dam-l NGO letter on World Water Forum/LS

Dear colleagues:

As you may know, a number of multilateral and bilateral agencies  (e.g. the
World Bank, SIDA) have initiated a consultation process on water: the so
called World Water Vision (WWV) process. Based on this Vision an agenda is
drafted for the coming decades: the Framework For Action  (FFA). The
results of the WWV and the FFA will be presented during the second
ministerial World Water Conference, and the parallel World  Water Forum, in
March 2000 in the Hague, the Netherlands.

The FFA is likely to outline the priorities for the nearby future.  So far
the involvement of the NGOs has been rather marginal. We believe it is
important that NGOs address these fora and express  their views concerning
fundamental flaws in water & river management and what they see as the
priorities and best approaches for the future.  The last thing we want is
another blueprint. What definitively is needed is an inclusive and open
dialogue which addresses the root causes of  degradation of water and other
environmental resources and human hardship. It is about a search for
solutions which evolves from and is shared by those who have to live with
such solutions.

With the input of a number of NGOs and local groups we are drafting an NGO
Vision paper on Integrated River Basin Management, with emphasis on  the
politics of Decision Making and particular attention for Gender Priorities.

Although we specifically address  problems and opportunities in the South,
the views expressed also focus on river basin issues in the North.

We would greatly appreciate your suggestions for improvement, and possible
endorsement of this paper, and your own views.

For your information: the draft official report of the World Water
Commission: The World  Water Vision: Making Water Everybody's Business".
This document (draft14th November 1999): can be found on internet:
<<   www.watervision.org  >>>

Thanks in advance and looking forward hearing from you.
YOU CAN REACH US at:   <water@bothends.org> or fax; 31-20-6208049
regards,

Paul Wolvekamp / Danielle Hirsch /Edit Tuboly

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
        and Editor, World Rivers Review
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org