dam-l Shurrery Dam Fish Ladder, River Forss, Caithness, Scotland.

We are a group of salmon fishermen who feel that the fish ladder construced on the river Forss, approximately 40 years ago, is    acting, at times,as an obstruction to the passage of fish migrating both up and down stream. We have detailed plans of the ladder construction and common sense tells us that there are fundamental design problems with it, however, we are just a group of ordinary guys without the very specialized knowledge needed to back up our case. We are therefore looking for sources of authoratative information to help us. The public bodies, fisheries authority and the user of the water supply from the dam make soothing noises but  progress is painfully slow, with no prospect of constructional alterations to solve the problem. Any information you could give us would be very much appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

David A Smith,
Berrybauds, Clochan, Buckie, Scotland   AB56 5HX.