dam-l LS: Wolfensohn Refuses Pak Mun Letter (fwd)

Forwarded message:
From owner-irn-mekong@netvista.net  Thu Feb 17 21:53:29 2000
From: owner-irn-mekong@netvista.net
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:44:50 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-irn-mekong@netvista.net

An announcement condemning the President of the World Bank
rejecting to accept the letter from the villagers affected by Pak Mun Dam

The President of the World Bank, Mr. James Wolfenson attended the
10th UNCTAD rejected to accept the letter from the villagers who have
been affected by Pak Mun Dam on Feb 16. Mr. Wolfenson said the
villagers have good livings and people who were submitting the letter
love to make chaos. Also, he said the World Bank in Thailand is
taking care of this issue.

As the villagers who have been affected by Pak Mun Dam's
construction, we refuse to accept Mr. Wolfenson's announcement
because the fact is being distorted which Mr. Wolfenson claimed the
information from the report of Operations Evaluation Department
pro-dam and using the information from Mr. Shivakumar, the Director
of Thai World Bank. What he said about the villagers misleading the
public to misunderstand us.

We, the villagers are condemning Mr. Wolfenson's action.

We, the villagers are announcing that the World Bank needs to take
responsibilities as follows:

1.	Take responsibility for the destruction you have caused to
our lives and to the ecology and fisheries of the Mun River,
acknowledge your mistakes and respect our demands.
2.	Work with the Thai government to decommission Pak Mun and
restore the Mun River, and
Restore the Mun River! Remove the dams!

Affected villagers by Pak Mun Dam and Assembly of the Poor

Chainarong Sretthachau
Southeast Asia Rivers Network(SEARIN)
25/5 Moo 2 Soi Sukhapibarn 27
Changkhien-Jed Yod Road