dam-l Chileans Join with Crees in Struggle (fwd)

Forwarded message:
From William_J_Braun@mennonitecc.ca  Mon Feb 28 20:05:47 2000
From: William_J_Braun@mennonitecc.ca
To: "Aboriginal Rights Coalition" <arc@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 19:07:47 -0600
Subject: Chileans Join with Crees in Struggle

--0__=mtf1cwanp71dHIIvcaj2MUTnI0mX0FixHmiR30yhlAxcxTDF4UPcOGYA

To:       "Aboriginal Rights Coalition" <arc@istar.ca>
From:  Will Braun
Date:  2/28/2000  7:02:08 PM
Subj:   Chileans Join with Crees in Struggle

February 28, 2000

For Immediate Release

CHILEAN NATIVES JOIN CROSS LAKE CREES IN DEFENSE OF LANDS AND RIGHTS
FLOODED OUT BY HYDRO DAMS

WINNIPEG, Man.
--0__=mtf1cwanp71dHIIvcaj2MUTnI0mX0FixHmiR30yhlAxcxTDF4UPcOGYA

=97  At opposite ends of the earth, the Mapuche indigenous
people of Chile and the Crees of Cross Lake, Manitoba are on a collisio=
course with the politico-economic forces of mega-development.

Both peoples live in the shadow of imposed hydroelectric dams, both hav=
had their lands and rights flooded out; and after meeting in northern
Manitoba this past weekend they are now united in their determination t=
defend their homelands and human rights.

A joint Mapuche - Cross Lake press conference will be held today in
Winnipeg:
     Monday, February 28
     11:00 a.m.
     Chilean Association,   892 Burrows Ave.

On hand will be Cross Lake Chief John Miswagon, Juan Bautista Ancalao -=

Chief of the Mapuche Tirua People, Cross Lake Councillor Nelson Miller,=
 and
Mapuche Communications Officer Jeannette Paillan.

The Chileans were welcomed in Cross Lake this past Saturday by Traditio=
nal
Chief Sandy Beardy. "I'm glad you people came here to help us, and we w=
ill
help you, and we will work together," said Beardy, 79.

Concluding the northern visit, Ancalao of Chile expressed the need for
unified action. "We cannot give up the fight as indigenous people,
otherwise we will disappear,=94 he said. =93I hope that all the indigen=
ous
people of the world will sit down together and work things out."

The Mapuche are visiting four Canadian cities to establish internationa=
solidarity, and seek development partnerships. They will also meet Winn=
ipeg
Mayor Glen Murray, NDP caucus members, Rod Bushie of the Assembly of
Manitoba Chiefs, university groups, and others.

The visit to Manitoba is being organized by members of the Chilean
community in Winnipeg.

                         end

Information distributed by:
________________________
Will Braun
Mennonite Central Committee
Consumers for Responsible Energy
134 Plaza Dr.
Winnipeg MB  R3T 5K9
Canada
wjb@mennonitecc.ca
ph (204) 261-6381
fx  (204) 269-9875

For further information, or to be removed from this distribution list,
please contact the above.
=

--0__=mtf1cwanp71dHIIvcaj2MUTnI0mX0FixHmiR30yhlAxcxTDF4UPcOGYA--