dam-l Re: biobio river in chile

> Could you possibly provide me with any information regarding the nature of
> the Pangue and Ralco Dam constructions from an engineering point of view, or

The purpose of DRIIA is to provide the information that the
engineers and promoters leave out.

There are plenty of websites [if you know how to conduct a search that will]
provide you with the raw facts on dam contsruction.

DRIIA is devoted to impacts from the peer reviewed non-partisan
literature in academia.

Try searching for USBR - US Bureau of reclamation if you want
information.

Given their funding [DRIIA receives only donations in kind]
and their [promoters and dam builders] bias and what they leave out and
that DRIIA is referneced by the Smithsonian Institution and ELDIS
and some other sites... it is not our business to do
energy consortium's work for them nor Siemens or other engineering
and related firms nor any of the rest of the people who will benefit
all of whom have much more money than scientists, the environment, fish,
fishermen, aboriginal and displaced and affected peoples to  put forth
their case.

The day I see the Narmada or other dam promoters [producing a website or
brochures that show the true maginitude of the effect of
too much runoff regulation and damming arable lands, is the day I will
put any effiort into saying what they are already saying.

Water development has a syndrome associated with it, according to
one of our reserachers, a water resources engineer.

Have you searched on any of the search engines for dam builders?

> head me in the right direction. Have found a lot of information on the

well I hope this is some help.

> arguements between Endesa and the native indians but nothing about what type

Well, they do live there and if nothing has been said about positive effects
it is most likely that only the dam constructors will benefit.

That appears to be the syndrome for many [not all] dams.

If you want to hear the positive spin look at the sites online
by the promoters of ddams such as ICOLD, the International
Commission on Large Dams.

I'm sure they'd be delighted to give you lots of info on the engineering
aspects.  There is so much more though than engineering.

These things have some dreadful effects when built in excess without
considering the full effects of them.

Where will those aboriginal peoples go?

Dam promoters tend to be fairly secretive and controlling about what
data they release.

Why? Perhaps they feel they have something to hide.

I say that in all honesty because in all my years of reseraching this
I have found that what is released to the public is whitewashed
information.

> of dams are being built or any positive effects!

See what ICOLD and ENDESA say.  Did you think to contact ENDESA?

> You help would be most appreciated.

well there it is....

cheers!
-Dianne Murray,