dam-l Correspondence on harrassment of Lesotho affected person/LS

The following is a letter from LHDA's Chief Executive to the Maseru NGO
Transformation Resource Centre, regarding the recent TRC press release on
the case of Mr. Leuta, who has been harrassed by the national police for
his attendance at a hearing of dam-affected people. TRC is being called to
task by the LHDA official for going to the press with the harrassment
situation (if you would like a copy of the press release, which went to the
listserv on March 9, send me an email). The official's letter is followed
by TRC's reply.

Dear Colleagues

Re:  Visit to Mr. Leuta and Makhoakhoeng Resettlees by Lesotho National
Security Services

We note with regret the current articles coming from yourselves and
appearing in the media on the alleged harrassment by the Lesotho National
Security Service on Mr. Leuta and the Makhoakhoeng resettlees.

We are deeply concerned that while we believed to be enjoying working
relations with yourselves, this time around you chose to communicate with
us through the media on issues which we would have thought would have
dictated for us to meet.

To put the record straight, the LHDA is a government institution with a
mandate only in the implementation of the Lesotho Highlands Water Project.
LHDA does not handle Lesotho's national security at all and has not in any
way contributed to the events alleged by yourselves in the media.

We regret the coincidental nature of these events with the individuals
involved as much as you do.

Finally, as my office has repeatedly indicated to yourselves, LHDA keeps an
open door and you are most welcome at any time to seek information.

Yours faithfully,

M. Marumo
Chief Executive

cc:  Environmental Monitoring Group
      International Rivers Network
      Lesotho Highlands Water Commission (LHWC)
      P.S. Ministry of Natural Resources (Lesotho)
      P.S. Home Affairs, Lesotho
      Commissioner of Police - Lesotho

---------------------------------------

Mr. M. Marumo
Chief Executive
Lesotho Highlands Development Authority

Dear Mr. Marumo:

Re: Visits to Mr. Leuta by the Lesotho National Security Service and Your

Letter of 13 March 2000

Frankly, we at the Transformation Resource Centre are amazed and confused
by your misleading response to our press release concerning the National
Security Service's harassment of Mr. Leuta. You express concern that we
"chose to communicate with (you) through the media on issues which (you)
would have thought would have dictated for us to meet." In fact, we
repeatedly approached your office, and you had more than ample time to
respond before we went to the press.

If memory serves, I phoned you personally in January immediately after we
learned of the first NSS visit. During our conversation, you made a
commitment to find out why the visits occurred. I also phoned and
personally visited the General Manager of ESSG about the same issue. He
also promised to investigate the matter. I, additionally, phoned and
personally visited your colleague, Ms. Mahlape Mothepu. She responded that
the matter would be investigated. We heard nothing more on the case from
the three of you.

On 4 February 2000, you received a direct letter from our colleagues at the
Environmental Monitoring Group. The letter asked for an official response
to the visits and for you to use your significant influence to halt them.
The letter went on to say that "we have not gone to the press about this
issue, as we would like firstly to hear your response." Ms. Mothepu
responded to the letter on 8 February by saying that you were out of the
country and would respond shortly. Neither we, nor EMG heard any response
from you. In a letter addressed to Prof. Kader Asmal at the World
Commission on Dams (which was also copied to you) we expressed our great
concern about not hearing a response, and stated that if no response was
forthcoming we would have no other recourse than to go to the press. We
again did not hear from you.

So, as you can easily recognise, we have been more than patient with you
and your staff. We again ask you to use your influence to stop the visits
(the latest occurred on 9 March). We do not regret the press release, and,
if the visits continue, we will approach the press with far less warning
time.

Sincerely,

Ms. Motseoa Senyane-Makatjane

Coordinator

cc: Environmental Monitoring Group

International Rivers Network

Lesotho Highlands Water Commission

P.S. Ministry of Natural Resources, Lesotho

P.S. Home Affairs, Lesotho

Commissioner of Police - Lesotho

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>
<P>16 March 2000</P>
<P>Mr. M. Marumo</P>
<P>Chief Executive</P>
<P>Lesotho Highlands Development Authority</P>
<P>Dear Mr. Marumo:</P><B>
<P align=center>Re: Visits to Mr. Leuta by the Lesotho National Security
Service
and Your </P>
<P align=center>Letter of 13 March 2000</P></B>
<P>Frankly, we at the Transformation Resource Centre are amazed and confused by
your misleading response to our press release concerning the National Security
Service&#8217;s harassment of Mr. Leuta. You express concern that we "chose to
communicate with (you) through the media on issues which (you) would have
thought would have dictated for us to meet." In fact, we repeatedly approached
your office, and you had more than ample time to respond before we went to the
press.</P>
<P>If memory serves, I phoned you personally in January immediately after we
learned of the first NSS visit. During our conversation, you made a commitment
to find out why the visits occurred. I also phoned and personally visited the
General Manager of ESSG about the same issue. He also promised to investigate
the matter. I, additionally, phoned and personally visited your colleague, Ms.
Mahlape Mothepu. She responded that the matter would be investigated. We heard
nothing more on the case from the three of you.</P>
<P>On 4 February 2000, you received a direct letter from our colleagues at the
Environmental Monitoring Group. The letter asked for an official response
to the
visits and for you to use your significant influence to halt them. The letter
went on to say that "we have not gone to the press about this issue, as we
would
like firstly to hear your response." Ms. Mothepu responded to the letter on 8
February by saying that you were out of the country and would respond shortly.
Neither we, nor EMG heard any response from you. In a letter addressed to Prof.
Kader Asmal at the World Commission on Dams (which was also copied to you) we
expressed our great concern about not hearing a response, and stated that if no
response was forthcoming we would have no other recourse than to go to the
press. We again did not hear from you.</P>
<P>So, as you can easily recognise, we have been more than patient with you and
your staff. We again ask you to use your influence to stop the visits (the
latest occurred on 9 March). We do not regret the press release, and, if the
visits continue, we will approach the press with far less warning time. </P><B>
<P align=center></P></B>
<P>Sincerely,</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Ms. Motseoa Senyane-Makatjane</P>
<P>Coordinator</P>
<P>cc: Environmental Monitoring Group</P>
<P>International Rivers Network</P>
<P>Lesotho Highlands Water Commission</P>
<P>P.S. Ministry of Natural Resources, Lesotho</P>
<P>P.S. Home Affairs, Lesotho</P>
<P>Commissioner of Police - Lesotho</P>
<P></P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
        and Editor, World Rivers Review
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org