dam-l LS: Hundreds of Tribals on Indefinite Dharna at Nandurbar

Press note - 27.3.2000

Hundreds of Tribals on Indefinite Dharna at Nandurbar Collectorate.
Notice for Contempt of Court served to District Collector of Nandurbar
for Negligence of Supreme Court order.

Hundreds of tribal women and men are on an indefinite dharna at
Nandurbar Collectorate. At the time of preparing this note, marathon
discussions (since 6 pm) between a delegation of NBA, comprising of
Noorjie Padvi, Kesav Vasave, Raniya Bunja, Medha Patkar, Pratibha
Shinde of Punarvas Sangharsh Samiti and the District Collector,
Mr.Asim Gupta and other officials are on.

In a significant move, counsel for NBA, Adv.N.D.Sooryavanshi served
legal notice to the District Collector of Nandurbar, asking why his
clients, Narmada Bachao Andolan, should not be moved to the Supreme
Court against him for taking action under the Contempt of Court Act
for indulging into willful disobedience of its orders in Pradip
Prabhu Vs. State of Maharashtra case. Supreme Court, in 1995 have
passed a verdict, in the said case, directing the State of
Maharashtra to appoint responsible officers indifferent districts to
examine the claims of Adivasis who are in possession of land and to
decide their claims for regularisation. This order was never taken
seriously or no sincere efforts were taken towards the implementation
of it. The thousands of people, who are living and cultivating in
that land since generations, are counted as encroachers and are
denied of all the benefits of SSP affected - they are not even served
the notice under the Land Acquisition Act, 1894. They are also
deprived of crop loans, subsidies and other facilities provided by
the government for tribal population.

Earlier in the day the 400 odd Project Affected People of Sardar
Sarovar Project and representatives of Tapi and Virchak project
affected marched through the streets of Nandurbar town, before
starting the dharna. To quote from the charter of demands:

"Tribals in Akrani and Akkalkuva tahsils have been demanding right to
forest land under cultivation which is old, ie, prior to 1978. 73
villages in Akrani have a special case as no land rights are granted
to them since independence. Even after survey was done (in 85-86) and
records prepared jointly by revenue and forest, the rights are
deliberately not granted so as to deprive many tribals of 2 hectares
of land entitlement in rehabilitation. The notification was issued in
'92 to grant them rights but cancelled in 1994.

· "We want no more promises but concrete action on this issue
concerning 73 villages in Akrani and also atleast 20 in Akkalkuva.

· "We demand implementation of Supreme Court orders in Pradip Prabhu
Vs State of Maharashtra case, 1995 which directed the state govt. to
form distinct level committee to investigate old land cultivation and
regularise (convert into revenue), those. The committee must fix up
timetable for village meetings and prepare records, reply to our
application - ½ years old.

"Employment Guarantee: We have applied for and pursued with the
district Collector our demand of employment in this drought-year. We
were promised and promised again, without action. Hundreds of
individual applications are filed under the Employment Guarantee Act
of Maharashtra, hence:

· "We need employment to be give with immediate effect.
· "We have agreed to afforestation and other measures of soil and
water conservation but the plans should be finalised with the consent
of the communities and no outside supervisors or contractors but
village representatives, unanimously selected, should be given the
work-charge.

"Drinking Water: There is a water-crisis is many villages this time
again. The wells (small and large) we could get sanctioned during
last few ears (about 70) are mostly in use. People taking the work
charge, not allowing outside contractors, worked well, without
corruption. But some are blocked due to land slides. Other hamlets
too require wells, in this drought year.

· "We demand urgent sanctioning of wells and resolution of the water-problem.

"Public Distributive System: With no ration-cards given to the
people, PDS is the hub of corruption in Akkrani and Akkalkuva
tahsils, with the grains and other items never reaching the ration
shops. At places where it is available, it is sold at a higher price
than the normal. We demand immediate intervention of the authorities
to lessen the difficulties of the people and make the system
corruption-free."

The Collector was also reminded that the land for the people to be
affected by the SSP is not going to be an easy find, with thousands
of hectares of land in need. As earlier, if the administration is
planning to clear-fell the forest again, that will not only be
disastrous for the state, but also it will invite vibrant opposition
from the people who depend on forest for their livelihood.

The injustice of suppressing the basic information of Tapi and
Virchak projects also came up for discussions.

Joe Athialy