dam-l LHDA on harrassment of affected person/LS

Hello all,
Here is Marumo's response to our last letter about the situation of Ntate
Leuta.  Meanwhile, the NSS visits continue.
Ryan

Motseoa Senyane-Makatjane
TRC Coordinator
Transformation Resource Centre
P O Box 1388
Maseru 100

Re: Visits to Mr Leuta by the Lesotho National Security Service

I am responding to your letter of 13 March 2000, referenced above.

As you are aware, the mandate of the Lesotho Highlands Development
Authority (LHDA) is solely to implement the Lesotho Highlands Water Project
(LHWP).  Issues of national security have always remained the
responsibility of the national security agencies.

Although we cooperate wherever possible, the security agencies are not
mandated to advise, inform or collaborate with the LHDA on security
matters, whether or not these relate to activities in the project area or
elsewhere.  As you are fully aware, the LHDA does not control the
activities of the security agencies.  Any association of the LHDA with any
alleged activities of the security agencies, simply on the strength that
these allegations occurred in a project area is therefore, not justified,
and purely coincidental.

In the particular situation involving Mr Leuta, I am able to confirm to
you, that I have thoroughly investigated the allegations and cannot
substantiate any LHDA involvement.  As such, the LHDA completely
dissociates itself from the allegations complicity.  Let me further
emphasize the LHDA's commitment to an open door policy and cooperation with
the NGOs on relevant aspects of the Lesotho Highlands Water Project, as
enshrined in our Memorandum of Understanding.

Finally, let me assure you that the LHDA continuously scans both the local
and international environment and frequently updates its policies and
practices to ensure conformity with accepted international best practice.
In principle, we do not support the use of intimidation or coercion to
achieve project objectives.  Our publicly-stated compensation and
resettlement policies, which are based on the principles of equity,
transparency, consultation, dialogue and active community participation
will continue to provide the reference framework for engagement with
project-affected communities and individuals.

It is our hope that the NGOs can continue to actively and positively
collaborate with the LHDA in the implementation of the LHWP to advance the
social and economic development of the project-affected communities.

Yours sincerely,
Makase Marumo
Chief Executive

cc:    PS, Ministry of Natural Resources
        Commissioner of Police
        Director, National Security Services
        LHWC

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
        and Editor, World Rivers Review
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org