dam-l From the U.S. perspective (fwd)

Forwarded message:
From William_J_Braun@mail.mcc.org  Fri Apr  7 15:10:53 2000
From: William_J_Braun@mail.mcc.org
To: arc@istar.ca
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:13:05 -0500
Subject: From the U.S. perspective

To:       Aboriginal Coalition
From:  Will Braun
Date:  4/7/2000  2:01:47 PM
Subj:   From the U.S. perspective

As Canadians, it is important for us to understand how an issue of great
importance to our province is playing out in the powerful American marketplace.
Our utility is a step closer to selling Americans more power that is subsidized
by the suffering of the Crees and the trees of northern Manitoba.  Do we want
our utility participating in this sort of international trade?

In the 1980s, a handful of rural activists DEFEATED a proposed transmission
line from Quebec that would have devastated western Maine's remote mountain
communities.

Because there were alternatives.

IN THE 1990s, a larger handful of activists in New York joined forces with
activists throughout the US and DEFEATED a 1000 MW, 20-year contract that
would have destroyed the Great Whale River, one of eastern North America's
remaining wild rivers, in the name of "cheap" megahydro.

Because there were alternatives.

TODAY, Minnesota, your largest utility has made public its intent to AGAIN
MAKE YOU COMPLICIT in northern destruction with its announcement that
Manitoba Hydro is a finalist in NSP's energy supplier contest.

Read NSP's press release for yourselves at http://www.nspco.com or
http://www.nspco.com/aunews/000406nr.htm

UNWILLING TO BE NSP'S COLLABORATOR?

THEN UNPLUG MINNESOTA FROM MANITOBA HYDRO -- out of love for the rivers and
animals of the north and the preservation of the wild -- out of concern for
the Cree Indians and their families who live like refugees in an
environmental slum -- out of the deep knowledge that surpasseth all
understanding that you, as a Minnesotan with a moral conscience, no longer
choose to be NSP's electric collaborator in the daily devastation visited
upon people and the environment.

AND GET RIGHTEOUS.

PLUG INTO what Minnesota values and stands for: energy renewables that do no
harm. And respect for the rights of human beings.

WHAT HAPPENED. WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.

On 6 April 2000, Northern States Power ended its "eight-month effort" to
find new energy suppliers. It selected Manitoba Hydro to supply 500 MW
starting in 2005.

An independent auditor selected earlier by NSP now will file a report with
the MN PUC. The auditor's report filing could occur up to 3 weeks from now.

The 30-day public comment period (NOT a hearing) begins when the auditor's
report is received.

Finally, the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission must approve the
selection of Manitoba Hydro.

STAY ON TOP OF THE ISSUE

Contact the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission at 651-296-7124.

Staffer Bret Eknes can be reached at 651-296-8667 or
bret@pucgate.puc.state.mn.us

------------
"Only beavers should be allowed to build dams on our territory."
(Cree saying)

Ann Stewart
(Information Officer, Pimicikamak Cree Nation)
121 West Grant Street/Suite 116
Minneapolis MN 55403-2340 USA
p: 612.871.8404
e: stewartship@visi.com
f: 612.871.7922

This material is distributed by Ann Stewart (USDOJ FARA #5313) on behalf of
Pimicikamak Cree Nation. Additional information is available at the
Department of Justice, Washington DC.