dam-l URGENT: Cordillera People's Alliance Office Raided

URGENT: CORDILLERA PEOPLES' ALLIANCE OFFICE RAIDED

Note from Aviva Imhof, IRN:

As you'll read from the following, the Cordillera Peoples' Alliance office
in Baguio City, Philippines, was raided on the morning of April 27, and
many important files, documents, as well as computers, modems and fax
machines were stolen. The CPA has consistently been at the forefront of
the indigenous peoples struggles in their region and, in particular, of the
campaigns against dams and mining. The CPA is asking for letters of
condemnation
and concern and also for financial contributions. Their bank account details
are below. For those people who would like to contribute from the US, IRN
is starting a collection fund, so you may send checks to CPA Fund,
International Rivers Network, 1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley CA 94703. Make
checks out to International Rivers Network, and mark in the memo line "for
CPA". We'll make sure they get the money, and all contributions are tax
deductible.

  April 28, 2000

  Dear partners and friends,

  Warmest greetings from CPA!

  This is to inform you  that the Regional Office of the Cordillera Peoples
Alliance- CPA  was  raided  by four men. believed to be members of the
Military Intelligence Unit in  April 27, 2000 at 1:30 AM. They  carted away
important files and organizational documents finance files, proposals and
reports, address lists of national and international partners and contacts,
campaign documents, files of the Public Information and Education
Commissions and others. They also took   four  computers( Central
Processing Units), two modems,  a scanner,  a printer, a  fax machine,  a
telephone set, and   a cassette recorder. They would have carted off  more
files and equipment, if they were not interrupted by the shouting of our
colleague who was then  in the second floor  below  the office. This
incident was immediately reported to the members of the City Police Force.
They are now conducting their investigation, but  have  started insinuating
of an inside job . This incident took place when most CPA staff  were in
Abra for the celebration of Cordillera Day.

This incident is an outright violation of the privacy of and a direct
assault on  the independent operation of CPA as a legitimate organization.
It is aimed to harass and   intimidate us and to disrupt and   paralyze our
overall operation as a legitimate organization.  CPA. has consistently
been at the forefront of the indigenous peoples struggles in general and
in the campaigns against dams,  mining and other present major issues in
the region in particular. Because of   our growing strength in Metro Baguio
and in the provinces, CPA's sustained protest activities and information
campaigns   have been well projected in the media and  are  gaining more
and more support at the regional, national and international levels. These
have  put certain  interest groups (ie mining companies, dam proponents),
and the government in a bad light  as they are placed in a politically
defensive position. In this context, the raid  of CPA's office is clearly
politically motivated and  a calculated move of the  military's
intelligence unit.  The information they  took will be used for sowing
intrigues, disinformation campaigns and other activities against the
peoples movement and CPA.  The loss of important documents, equipment and
information will  surely have a negative impact on  the overall  operations
of CPA.

Although this incident has disrupted our operations at the moment, we
refuse to be intimidated and succumb to paralysis. We will continue with
our tasks at hand  as we  remain firm  and committed in  service of the
Cordillera peoples. We likewise  appeal for your understanding, and
continuing   support and assistance. We would appreciate it if you can send
a letter of condemnation and concern over this  particular incident as well
as to the worsening human rights situation in the Cordillera. For more
details on the incident and cases of human rights violations in the region,
please refer to attached articles. Kindly address your letter to the
following and  cc  to us:

Col. Romeo D. Espiritu
Chief of Police, Baguio City
Baguio City Police Office Headquarters
Abanao, Street, Baguio City 2600

General Cresencio Maralit
Police Chief Supirendent- Cordillera region
Camp Dangwa, La Trinidad, Benguet

Secretary Orlando Mercado
Secretary of Defense
Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City

Likewise, in order for us to normalize our operation, we need to acquire
CPUs with  zip drives or CD writer  and protective programs, as well as to
replace all other equipment  taken away. Donations and Financial
contributions shall be highly appreciated. Our Bank account details  are as
follows:

Cordillera Peoples Alliance
PCI Bank, La Trinidad Branch, Benguet
Account # 3285-00023-1

For  email communications, kindly use the following addresses until further
notice: tongtongantiumili@skyinet.net  To CPA Region ;   joancarling@yahoo.com

For fax messages, kindly use the same 63-74-443-7159.

  Thank you for your continuing support.

Sincerely,

  Ms. Joan Carling

Secretary General

Aviva Imhof
South-East Asia Campaigner
International Rivers Network
1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley CA 94703 USA
Tel: + 1 510 848 1155 (ext. 312), Fax: + 1 510 848 1008
Email: aviva@irn.org, Web: http://www.irn.org