dam-l [harmful-hydro] * A Reply to the Director of Communications, Government of Manitoba

A Reply to the Director of Communications, Government of Manitoba

Manitoba Hydro's and the Government of Manitoba's boreal hydro mega-project -- "a moral and ecological catastrophe"

The "new" New Democratic Party (NDP) government of Manitoba will only be credible when its actions begin to match its words -- and are commensurate to the catastrophe that the government and its Hydro corporation have caused.  Sadly, while it professes good intentions, it continues to engage in denial, fails to address the ongoing disaster -- and now promises now to compound it through more dams, river diversions, flooding of boreal forests and electricity exports.

Government spokesperson (and senior aide to the Manitoba Premier) Donne Flanagan disseminates: "In the decades old dispute between Hydro and the Cree of Cross Lake it's been hard to figure out just who is responsible for what."

Actually, this is not hard at all.  All of the key players, and numerous independent parties, appear to be "of one mind", on the key issues. Manitoba Hydro built the Lake Winnipeg and Churchill, Nelson Rivers mega project.  It diverted and dammed huge rivers, conscripted or created lakes (by flooding) as reservoirs, and regulates an entire continental river-basin to its own ends.

Mr Flanagan is not telling Americans that Manitoba Hydro (and the governments of Manitoba and Canada) formally acknowledged in 1997 that as a result of the mega-project, "the water regime of certain waters, rivers, lakes and streams has been, or will be modified" and that:

"As a result of the modification of the water regime, adverse effects have occurred, and may continue to occur, on the lands, pursuits, activities and lifestyles, of the residents, individually and collectively, of the Reserves of Cross Lake, Nelson House, Norway House, Split Lake and York Landing."

Likewise, Mr Flanagan is not telling that the federal Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples concluded twenty years later in 1996 that the mega-project:

"has subsequently become well known for its massive scale and detrimental effects on the northern Manitoba environment and the Aboriginal peoples who live there. Although the project directly affected the lands and livelihood of five treaty communities... and one non-treaty community, they were not consulted, nor did they give approval for the undertaking... Reserve and community lands were either flooded or affected by dramatic changes to levels in surrounding lakes and rivers, and traditional land-use areas were damaged or rendered inaccessible."

Likewise, the government of Manitoba is not telling Americans that a1999 Canadian Inter-Church Inquiry into northern flooding in Manitoba concluded that the Manitoba Hydro project has been a "moral and ecological catastrophe for northern Manitoba and its indigenous peoples". (See Mennonite Central Committee http://www.mccm.mb.ca/cldams.html web-site.)  Significantly, the Chairman of the Board of Manitoba Hydro admitted publicly -- at a recent Minnesota energy and human rights conference -- that his corporation does not contest this Church inquiry conclusion.

Neither are Americans being told that Judge Ferg ruled in 1982 (in ordering Manitoba Hydro to build an ice-hockey arena to begin to replace the Crees' devastated natural recreational amenities) that Manitoba Hydro's project "drastically altered" the Cross Lake Crees' environment and "almost turned the [eco-]system upside down from a state of nature".   The 1991 Manitoba Aboriginal Justice Inquiry (chaired by a Chief Justice) reported similarly.

The leadership of another affected aboriginal Nation recently stated that the "massive" Hydro Project:

"...has caused adverse impacts of tragic proportions to our land, lives, and livelihood.   Our traditional lands and a way of life have been devastated and desecrated by the adverse impacts of the Hydro Project."

The government of Manitoba owns Manitoba Hydro and is of course thus very keen that Americans, who buy more than a third of the power produced by this "moral and ecological catastrophe" remain unaware (or mollified or confused) about the plain facts: that the present hydro project is a vast, unmitigated environmental and social catastrophe, and that proposals to expand it to export more power to the United States will inevitably compound the damage.

A few technical errors in environmentalists' handouts are inconsequential.  We who live in the middle of this nightmare know that the Sierra Clubs of Canada and the U.S. were correct to conclude that:

"hydroelectric development of this magnitude and type is not clean, benign or renewable: it devastates land, water, species and their habitats, and the people who live with this environment, and it often displaces truly renewable energy alternatives and conservation measures." The Sierrans urged "all [American] utilities to divert expenditures form this type of harmful hydropower to development and use of cleaner, renewable alternatives such as wind and solar power, and to conservation programs."

The NDP government of Manitoba is promising Americans that it will now behave differently to the environment and aboriginal inhabitants of the boreal forest than its predecessors (including NDP governments) have for the last 30 years.  The Pimicikamak Crees (who live at Cross Lake) and many Canadians hope that this will be true.  But they remember that it was an NDP government that conceived and built the mega-project; that was inactive while it was in power for many years through the 1980's as the environmental and social conditions in boreal Manitoba worsened; and that conceived a governmental scheme during the 1980's to destroy the aboriginal peoples' ability to defend their environmental and treaty rights in the face of this catastrophe.

Manitoba Hydro has belatedly just begun to address its 1977 promises to clean up the entire area of the environmental slum it created in the early 1970's.  (See the photographs below.)  But more than six months after this "new" government was elected, progress is glacial at best.  At the present rate, this critically-required cleanup of the existing damage to shorelines and lake areas in this part of boreal North America will take a hundred or more years.

The U.S. (and Canadian) environmental, religious and human rights organisations that are beginning to question Americans' purchase and transmission of this hydro power, are to be commended.  We know that their motives and actions will be challenged by those with vested interests in this destructive trade.  But we also know they are acting in the best interests of our common environment, which knows no borders.  We Pimicikamak Crees are deeply grateful.

William Osborne
Deputy Chief
Member of the Executive Council responsible for Communications
Pimicikamak Cree Nation
(Manitoba, Canada)

Picture 1: Flooded boreal forest, ruined shoreline habitat and waters, as far as the eye can see.  (Jenpeg forebay near Cross Lake, one of many Project forebays like it.  This is a 1999 picture. The government of Manitoba and Manitoba solemly promised in a 1977 treaty "to ensure that, in the event that standing trees become a navigation problem now or in the future, clearing action is performed; [and] to remove debris of any nature which results from the actual construction or from the flooding of land or by diversion of waters in the total area encompassed by the overall Project.")

Picture 2: Slumping shorelines and continuing erosion caused by artificial water fluctuations and flows.  The land is inacessible from the water and vice versa to animals and man, and the water is made turbid and contaminated. (Jenpeg forebay, 1999.)