dam-l RE: [harmful-hydro] * A Reply to the Director of Communications, Government of Manitoba

Mr. Osborne's posting attributes the following words to me: "In the decades
old dispute between Hydro and the Cree of Cross Lake it's been hard to
figure out just who is responsible for what."

I would not and did not say it -- or anything of the like.

The statement was clearly from a reporter quoted in a transcript of a CBC
Radio news item that I had forwarded to the harmful-hydro listserv last
week.

I'm glad a lot of this discussion on the topic is finally happening in the
plain light of day, which was inconcievable only a few short months ago
under the former Conservative government.

I have to worry, however, that many of the words and actions of the new
government seem to be unfairly skewed by outside advisors to PCN who seem
primarily interested in deliberately adding obstacles in order to prevent
the government and PCN from getting down to the real business of improving
the lives of people in Cross Lake.

The "reply" to me by Mr. Osborne frequently repeats the claim that the NDP
government is denying damage and hardship related to flooding on PCN's
territory. Quite the opposite is true.

Everything conveyed by the NDP while in Opposition and since winning
government on September 21, 1999 has been that we are committed to real and
lasting solutions for Cross Lake.

To that end we have already announced initiatives like the construction of
the desperately-needed bridge at Cross Lake -- a project that had been
languishing for years.

The new government's attitude and actions are even evidenced in the "reply"
when Mr. Osborne states: "Significantly, the (newly-appointed) Chairman of
the Board of Manitoba Hydro admitted publicly -- at a recent Minnesota
energy and human rights conference -- that his corporation does not contest
this (Inter-)Church inquiry (on Northern Flooding) conclusion."

Very true.

Further, what is not mentioned is that one of the panel participants in that
inquiry, Rev. Stan McKay, the former head of the United Church of Canada, is
among the recent appointees to the board of Hydro by the government. Rev.
McKay is one of three First Nations Manitobans who were appointed to the
board by Premier Gary Doer in March.

What is also not mentioned is the view of the four other Cree First Nations
who are also part of the Northern Flood Agreement -- particularly the Split
Lake Cree Nation, which has loudly voiced their opposition to the current
campaign in the U.S. being waged on behalf of PCN.

In fact, those four First Nations have already come to major settlements
with Hydro and the province on their outstanding issues with the Northern
Flood Agreement and want to make further progress with the new government.

What is also not mentioned is that at the very heart of the new government
are two cabinet ministers from Cree First Nations -- Eric Robinson, minister
of aboriginal and northern affairs, who is a member of PCN, and Oscar
Lathlin, minister of conservation, who is former chief of Opaskwayak Cree
Nation at The Pas, Manitoba. Minister Lathlin also represents The Pas
constituency in the Legislature, which includes Cross Lake. Both are deeply
committed to positive change for northern Manitoba -- especially First
Nations.

Denying that there has been significant change since the election of the new
government cannot in any way be helpful to the residents of Cross Lake.

But perhaps it is helpful to some who have another primary agenda here than
to advance the best interests of Aboriginal people in Manitoba.

Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2567/7/_/300139/_/957231833/