dam-l Water resource development for LA

Dear Dianne:
    I'm a junior at CSUN and taking a California Geography class.  Our final paper is on water resource development for LA.  As you probably know, LA's rate of growth is such that new sources of water are activly being sought.  Your page was the only one I came accross that spells out some problems with building more dams.      My initial responce to your arguement was just build diversion gutters that only allow a small percentage of the water to be redirected.  If we build one gutter from each of many major rivers in Northern California, Oregon and Washington trying to combine them where possible and running parallel to natural rivers we could avoid some of the negative affecs of dams and using too much of any one source.
     I know this is naive but reclamation, recycling, desalination, better watershed management and conjunctive use will successfully see us through the next decade, but if growth continues unchecked, more water will be needed.                Unfortunately, it is very doubtfull there will be any success on puting limits on growth.
    I have not read anything on shipping water from artic areas.  The cost would probably be overwhelming and undoubtedly lead to ecological problems there if abused.  The key word would have to be moderation.   Any suggestions that I have overlooked?  Thanks for your time and consideration.
                                Patricia Wallace
                                Northridge, Ca