dam-l Another Letter on LHWP to WBank/LS

The first LHWP letter to WB was NOT about the recent field visit, as I
mentioned, sorry for the confusion. The message below, however, is about
this visit.

>Mr. Andrew Macoun
>LHWP Task Team Leader
>1818 H Street, N.W.
>Washington, DC 20433
>USA
>
>Dear Mr. Macoun:
>
>We are deeply troubled by statements made by LHDA managers and attitudes
>expressed by members of your task team during your recent visit to
>Lesotho. We refer to the accusation that TRC is imposing its own agenda on
>due to be resettled communities at Mohale Dam. World Bank officials
>implied that TRC is acting without a community mandate when affected
>people at Ha Takatso seemed not to be familiar with the letter containing
>the people's declaration which we sent to you recently. When the
>declaration was finally read to them after much reluctance from World Bank
>staff, it became quite clear that the document emerged from the due to be
>resettled communities. Until this point, the attitude expressed by the
>World Bank was that the declaration is merely the views of TRC and not the
>affected people themselves.
>
>World Bank and LHDA staff are fond of saying that "we are all working
>toward the same goal -maximising the benefits of the LHWP for affected
>communities." If this is so, why should the LHDA and Bank be reluctant to
>minimise the tremendous disruption that is resettlement? In the
>declaration, communities ask to be compensated before they resettle; they
>ask for the opportunity to inspect and approve the resettlement sites
>after LHDA deems them complete; they ask that their cultural norms be
>respected; and they want the right to manage their own assets. Are these
>not things that any person facing the prospect of forced removal from
>her/his home and land would reasonably and rightfully request? Are we to
>assume that World Bank and LHDA staffmembers would not feel they are
>entitled to these things if put in the same situation? We doubt it.
>
>Comments and attitudes expressed on the Bank's recent visit reveal an
>attitude that the marginalised people of this world need not be afforded
>the same consideration as those of us who have been "educated" and are
>lucky enough to fly across oceans to decide the fate of those less
>fortunate. In short, the implication that TRC imposed the declaration on
>affected people is not only false and manipulative, it is dehumanising.
>
>We would like to ask you again, what exactly is the position of the World
>Bank regarding the declaration?
>
>We would also like to register our disappointment at not being informed of
>the Task Team's itinerary. Our fieldworkers learned of your presence at
>Mohale only by chance. We would appreciate a more intentional effort from
>the World Bank to hear from civil society groups who work closely with
>people affected by the LHWP.
>
>Thank you for your attention to this, and we look forward to hearing from you.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Motseoa Senyane-Makatjane
> [...]

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
        and Editor, World Rivers Review
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org