dam-l LS: I'm not opposed to Narmada dam: Digvijay

Source: The Times of India, Ahmedabad, June 14, 2000

               I'm not opposed to Narmada dam:
               Digvijay

               The Times of India News Service

               RAJKOT: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Digvijay Singh
               said here on Tuesday that he was not opposed to the
               Narmada dam. The height of 436 feet was enough for
               Gujarat to meet its requirements, he added.

               Singh, who was on a short tour of Saurashtra to see the
               checkdam projects, met reporters at the airport. He
               dropped a bombshell when he maintained that the local BJP
               leaders were in tune with the MP government's stand as far
               as height of the dam was concerned.

               The MP chief minister visited checkdam projects near
               Mandlikpur and Jamkandorna. On his return to Rajkot, he
               said, "I have reiterated time and again that I was not
               opposed to the Narmada dam. While Gujarat was talking
               of taking the dam height to 436 feet, I have been
               maintaining that the height of 436 was sufficient for
               Gujarat."

               "By having a height of 436 feet Gujarat would not get a
               drop less of water," he said, adding that even technical
               personnel have confirmed this. "We had taken up this issue
               with Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel, former chief minister
               Shankersinh Vaghela and other officials and even now we
               were ready for any kind of talks," he said.

               Singh said if it was question of power loss due to lowering
               of height, then Madhra Pradesh was ready to give power
               from its quota. "But I would not agree to land loss by
               raising the height of the dam," he maintained. "If Gujarat
               agrees to this demand, we would be happy," he said in
               reply to a question as to what would he like from Gujarat.

               When asked if an out-of-court settlement was possible on
               the lines of Cauvery issue, Singh said, "If Gujarat agrees to
               a height of 436 feet I have no problem." Prime Minister AB
               Vajpayee had summoned a meeting on the issue. It was
               unfortunately cancelled. After that he had not shown any
               inclination to call such meeting of concerned chief ministers,
               said Singh.

               He said that the BJP had made Narmada an emotional
               issue in Gujarat. In Madhya Pradesh, former chief minister
               Sunderlal Patwa had agreed to our suggestions and were
               with us on the Narmada issue.

               When reporters brought to his notice frequent drought in
               Saurashtra, the MP chief minister said, "The Narmada
               water would not reach all places in Saurashtra. Even after
               the Narmada project was completed, the drinking water
               problem of Saurashtra would not be solved."