dam-l LS: Gujarat to Organize Int'l Water Development Conf

FYI: Below is an invitation sent from Gujarat govt. to some water
'experts' around the world. A copy was sent to me. Clearly this is an
attempt by Gujarat to get the seal of approval of the international
water establishment for SSP.

Patrick

Jay Narayan Vyas
Minister
Narmada & Major Irrigation Projects,
1/8, Sardar Bhavan,
Sachivalaya,
Gandhinagar - 382 010. INDIA.
Tel. : 91 - 2712 - 20339, 38109.
Fax : 91 - 2712 - 25376, 44503.
e-mail: saket@ad1.vsnl.net.in

May 8, 2000

We are organising an International Conference on Water Development
for Poverty Alleviation in Ahmedabad, India, 29-31 January, 2001.
This would be followed by a study tour of the Sardar Sarovar Project,
which the TIME Magazine has termed as one of the eight modem wonders
of the world. The Conference is being co-sponsored by the Third World
Centre for Water Management, International Water Resources
Association, International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage and
World Water Council. Prof. Asit K, Biswas has kindly agreed to advise
us on the organisation of this Conference. The overall theme and
sub-themes of the Conference are attached herewith far your
information.

May I take this opportunity to extend to you a most cordial
invitation to present a lecture at this important Conference. Your
participation will go a long way to ensure the success of the event.

I sincerely hope you would be able to accept my invitation, we would
like to receive a 2- page abstract by the 15th August.

With best regards,

Yours sincerely,

Themes for the Conference

Main Theme: Water Resources Development for Poverty Alleviation,
improving quality of life and environmental conservation.

Sub-themes : 1. Roles of Water development for poverty alleviation
through increasing food production, electricity generation,
industrial development, employment creation and flood control.

2. Water development to improve quality of life through
provision of reliable supply of drinking water to urban and
rural areas and proper wastewater management.

3. Water development to stimulate sustainable regional growth.

4. Planning and management of water resources to enhance
environmental quality, equity and empowerment of women.

5. Integrated water resources management to improve health,
educational and infrastructural facilities.

6. Roles of public and private sectors, including privatisation.

Water pricing, water rights and participatory irrigation management

8. Legal institutional and policy aspects

9. Capacity building, including education, training and improvement
in management.

10. Case studies on appropriate projects and/or issues