dam-l ERN's Think - Camp

European Rivers Network THINK  CAMP
31th of July to the 5th of August 2000  SOUTH OF FRANCE

Dear friends of rivers,

A European Rivers Network THINK CAMP will take place from the 31th of July
to the 5th of August 2000 in the south of France.
The list of participants is already almost complete. However the following
areas are under-represented:
South East Asia, (1-2 persons)
East Asia (1-2 persons)
North Africa (1-2 persons)
Southern Europe (included Turkey) . (up to 3 persons)
For these countries, we can cover the expenses.
.  .   .  .    .
More informations on the Think-Camp:

The aim of the think-camp is to establish contacts and links between us, to
take time to think, to step back for a while from daily "business" to
identify real challenges and design strategies for the future. To have a
look on what should be done in this new century.
The ideas that will thus come out may initiate future meetings or specific
conferences.

There will be a productive atmosphere with a minimum of presentations, no
podium sessions, no townhall reception and a maximum of teamwork, relaxing
and inspiration (walks, swimming, etc). The place is favourable for this
kind of reflection : we will be alone with the river !

We would like the group to remain small : 15 persons fighting for living
rivers in Europe and Eurasia, and a few observers from the other
continents. Activities will be organised for accompanying people (family,
friends, etc.)

We could THINK about:
A	Identifying future “opportunities and threats” for the first quarter of
the 21st century (focus on Europe).

B 	Is networking the best type of structure for the 21st century to deal
wih this issues ?
          Are there new  forms of "working together"?

C     Networking and democracy !

D     Would an extended ERN be a solution? If yes, what should be the  role
and organisation of ERN ?

E	How to organise the connection and interaction between European and or
Euro-national NGOs with groups working on a
         worldwide scale on freshwater, human rights, sustainable
development, etc.

F	How to increase coordination or cooperation between and with the big
European NGO's?

G	National NGOs in Europe and their relation to EU. Do we have to adapt our
structures ?

H	Role of European NGOs in the fight against European companies damming
abroad (EDF, etc)

I        Role and position of European NGOs in water privatisation process,
in  Europe and overseas
          ( Vivendi, Lyonnaise des Eaux, etc.)

K	Strategies, targets, priorities, methods, tools … to fight the upcoming
inner European issues:
           1. Fighting TEN (Trans European Transportation
Network  Waterways) in Central and Eastern  Europe
           2. Dam decommissioning in Europe
	3. Water shortage in Southern Europe (arid areas of Spain, Turkey,Greece,
Portugal and Magreb)
           4.What in Europe after the nuclear era ? More dams ?
           5.Hydropower = Greenpower ?
           6.What is the next step to save rivers once the cleaning up of
(west-) European rivers will be over ?
           7.Role of European NGOs in the application of the EU WATER
FRAMEWORK DIRECTIVE

As we won’t be able to deal with all these issues we should choose some of
them together. Discussing these issues will take a lot of time but a part
of each day will be devoted to walks, swimming and more !

More about the Think, (Swim & Walk) -Camp
The workshop will take place in Bonnefont farm. It is located in the
beautiful upper Loire river valley, which was to be overflowed by the Serre
de la Fare reservoir. The association SOS Loire Vivante, who has prevented
the building of the dam, now own this remote renovated farmhouse. No car
can reach the place and it takes 20 mn to get there so remember to bring
adequate shoes.
The valley lies in the Haute-Loire area, roughly 500 kms south from Paris
and 200 kms south-west from Lyon (these 2 cities being endowed with an
international airport.)
This type of meeting being unusual, it is difficult to find funding. We
will yet try to provide free food and lodging, except for people coming
from southern and eastern countries for whom we will pay as well for at
least a part of the travel expenses.
Activities will be organised for accompanying people (family, friends, etc.)

The accommodation there will be basic : common rooms with mattresses or
tents outside. Shower, toilets, water and a little bit of solar electricity
will be available. For more information: ern@rivERNet.org

your Roberto Epple
Director and Founder ERN

Roberto A. Epple
Executive Director, ERN-European Rivers Network
e-mail : roberto.epple@rivERNet.org   or  ern@rivERNet.org
website: http://www.rivernet.org or http://www.ern.org

Main & Westeuropean Office:
8 Rue Crozatier,  43000 Le Puy,  France
Voice +33 (0) 471 02 08 14    Fax  +33 (0) 471 02 60 99

North european contact office (Germany)
Project Lebendige Elbe / Living Elbe
Voice +49 (0) 3496 21 00 09  Fax +33 (0) 3496 21 00 08