dam-l (Fwd) [harmful-hydro] Wpg Free Press piece on hydro/emissions

Focus

Hydro contributes to health of globe

Val Werier

06/01/2000

Winnipeg Free Press

Metro

a11

All material copyright Thomson Canada Limited or

its licensors. All rights reserved.

Val Werier

I get fed up with all this carping about how badly off we are, how we

are taxed to death. The brain drain we keep hearing about invites the

conclusion that we must be a nation of dolts now that all the smart

people have left.

Well, in some ways Manitoba's star shines brightest on the continent.

In contrast to states to the south, which obtain their power from

burning coal, Manitoba gets 98 per cent of its electricity from the

flow of water, a clean and sustainable source of energy. Manitoba

indeed is fortunate to be blessed with such natural resources. Only

Quebec obtains about the same proportion of energy from hydro. B.C.

comes next with 85 per cent.

Manitoba, considering the whole rate structure, has the lowest rates

for electricity on the continent, says Glenn Schneider, manager of

public affairs with Manitoba Hydro.

Rewarding

Even more rewarding, in my view, is Manitoba's contribution to the

health of the globe.Manitoba started exporting power to the U.S. in a

serious way in 1971 and since that time it is estimated it has

reduced emissions of carbon dioxide in the U.S. by 157 million tons!

The emissions are reduced by displacing coal with hydroelectric

power.

As a result, we are cutting down on greenhouse gases, which

contribute to the grave problem of global warming, by substituting

our hydro power for coal-burning utilities in the States.

Hydro now exports to 13 states, as far south as Texas through a power

grid. Minnesota and North Dakota are the big importers. The impact is

striking. The amount of power exported to these two states is

equivalent to reducing their consumption of coal by 85 million tons

since 1971.

In the year ending March 31, Manitoba exported $350 million worth of

power to the U.S. Manitoba can produce about 5,000 megawatts of power

annually, with a peak consumption of 3,500 megawatts.

Emissions

Manitoba Hydro proudly asserts that it leads all Canadian electrical

utilities in its commitment to reduce emissions, a claim backed by

the Pembina Institute, a leading environmental think-tank in Alberta.

Only two per cent of electricity produced in Manitoba is not

generated by water. Even here Hydro has been diligent in reducing

emissions. At

Brandon, four of the five standby coal-burning units were shut down

in 1996. Natural gas combustion units, which produce half of the

emissions, will be installed in 2002.

As well, nine remote communities, formerly supplied by local diesel-

fuelled units, were connected to the provincial power system in the

1990s. There are still four remote centres served by diesel power.

Hydro plans to build more water-generated plants to reduce reliance

on fossil fuels. This would also allow a rise in exports and

reduction of greenhouse gas elsewhere.

We should count our blessings. Most electrical utilities rely on

fossil fuels and are a major source of pollution.

The atmosphere enveloping the Earth is a wondrous system, so

protective and delicately balanced. Greenhouse gases, particularly

carbon dioxide, are warming this envelope with potentially drastic

results. The impact is already evident in Manitoba in the life

patterns of polar bears, due to warming temperatures and its effect

on habitat.

Reduce

The answer is to reduce consumption of fossil fuels and increase

efficiency, particularly with cars that are the chief producers of

greenhouse gases. North Americans -- the biggest consumers of energy

-- are not too concerned.

A move to cut consumption under Hydro's Power Smart program has

reduced the demand for electricity in Manitoba by 135 megawatts since

1990. That is the equivalent to the output of the Great Falls plant

on the Winnipeg River that would cost about $135 million to replace.

This amount of power available for export to the U.S. represents

savings equal to the consumption of one million tons of coal. The

target is to reduce consumption in Manitoba by a further 180

megawatts by the year 2011.

We in Manitoba can play a special role in reducing greenhouse gases

not only in our province but abroad; a philosophy that we all share

this world.

Val Werier is a Winnipeg writer. His column appears on Thursdays.

Never lose a file again. Protect yourself from accidental deletes,

overwrites, and viruses with @Backup.

Try @Backup it's easy, it's safe, and it's FREE!

Click here to receive 300 MyPoints just for trying @Backup.

http://click.egroups.com/1/6349/14/_/300139/_/963003618/