dam-l LS: Satyagraha 2000 Launched in Jalsindhi and Domkhedi

Press Note  16.7.2000

"IN NARMADA VALLEY, THERE IS ANOTHER WAR - AGAINST INJUSTICE",
ADMIRAL (Retd.) RAMDAS
Satyagraha 2000 Launched in Jalsindhi and Domkhedi With Resolve to
Confront the Waters

"The struggle in the valley too is a war but much different from the
war at Kargil. This is a war against injustice and it is bound to win
against all odds" declared Admiral Ramdas, the former Chief of Indian
Navy, while inaugurating the Satyagraha in the Narmada valley, on
Saturday (July 15). In an impressive program, the monsoon Satyagraha
of 2000 was inaugurated at Jalsindhi (Madhya Pradesh) and Domkhedi
(Maharashtra) against the controversial Sardar Sarovar Project (SSP)
in the Narmada valley, with a resolve to confront the unjust
submergence and displacement imposed by the government.

Nearly a thousand men-women representatives from the far -off
villages in the valley in Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat
along with the representatives from the Rehabilitation and
Resettlement sites, colony, canal and sanctuary affected of Gujarat,
with many supporters from different parts of the country thronged at
the function held at both Jalsindhi and Domkhedi. The atmosphere was
vibrant with slogans and songs.

A huge Mahua tree was converted in 'Tree of Resolve'’ by nailing the
plates with village names on it near the Satyagraha hut in Domkhedi.
Hundreds of people have inscribed their and villages' names,
symbolsing their assertion of right to stay where they have been
living for generations. While in Jalsindhi on the northern banks,
people immersed the effigy of the Demon of the Dam in Narmada, after
the ceremonial start of Satyagraha.

In his inaugural speech Admiral Ramdas said, "The struggle in the
valley will continue till rivers flow. This too is a war, with
slogans like "we will fight, we will win", but much different from
the war at Kargil. This is a war against injustice and it is bound to
win against all odds’.

With the main theme of Satyagraha se Nyayagraha tak (from the
insistence on truth to insistence on justice), the monsoon-long
Satyagraha also emphasise on the Nav Nirman (Constructive work) with
experiments on alternative energy sources, health, tribal medicines,
village planning, resource mapping, education etc. The inauguration
would be followed by the Youth Camp from July 16-23, the Day of
Swadeshi, Samata and Svavalamban (indigenousness, equality,
self-reliance) on August 1, Peace Day by the children in the valley
on August 6, Martyrs' Day on August 9 and Independence Day for New
Independence on August 15.

Senior village leaders summarized the essence of the struggle. Noorji
Padvi declared that "we are ready to sacrifice our lives to right to
LIVE". Baba Muvariya of Village Jalsindhi, in his speech said that
the they own their lands since generations and at any cost they will
not leave it. He further said "the unity of the affected people in
three states is the foundation of Andolan. It is again and again
proved that Government doesn't have land to rehabilitate the people."
Dedlibai from Domkhedi was the most articulate. She said, "It's our
land, forest, river and life. Not only Governments but even foreign
companies are also trying to snatch this away. We have taken the
challenge the challenge to save human life, protect human rights. Our
Rehmal has sacrificed his life for us. We too are ready for that."

Medha Patkar made it clear that the Satyagraha has to be continued
due to the still hanging sword of the submergence and the
displacement with unjust means. She alleged that the governments are
out to displace people with hook or crook, by submitting false
affidavits, by bringing in the submergence when the people have not
moved out. "We want the rule of law and assert the fundamental rights
given by the Indian Constitution and the universal Human Rights. All
these demand that the people should not be submerged and all the work
on the dam be immediately halted for a comprehensive and
participatory review." The activists and villagers rebuked the
Gujarat politicians for playing up on the false hopes of SSP waters
in the drought areas and asserted that the local, decentralised water
harvesting and decentralised planning along with the sustainable
utilisation are only the real, long-term solution for the water
problem in Kutch, Saurashtra and other drought prone areas of Gujarat
- not the Sardar Sarovar. Ironically, the supporters from Gujarat
could not arrive at satyagraha place due to heavy rains in the state,
which was reeling under severe drought barely a fortnight ago.

Among the dignitaries, who support the cause of Narmada Bachao
Andolan for the last several years, apart from the Admiral and Mrs.
Lalita Ramdas, renowned environmentalist Mohan Kumar from Kerala,
senior political activist Sukhendu Bhattacharya from Calcutta and
others were present. Supporters from Bombay, Malegaon, Bihar, Andhra
Pradesh, apart from Netherlands, Australia and United Kingdom too
were present.

Meanwhile, it is learnt that, the Government of Maharashtra has
decided to 'ignore' the Satyagrahis this year. As a result, for the
first time since 1991, there are no police camps, nor wireless sets
in the villages. Learning this, the people said, "We have resolved to
confront the rising waters, thus confront the injustice. The
Satyagraha is not a drama and we don't want the police to repeat the
drama of saving us. If they are sincere let them take a truthful
stand."

It may be recollected that the dam has submerged several houses and
hundreds of fields, at the height of 88 mts. last year, even that
being a drought year, causing extensive damage to the belongings and
crops. This year with a predicted better monsoon, the damage will be
much more. The Governments continue to take false stands on the
number of people getting affected and the availability of land for
their rehabilitation.

It may be recalled that the Apex Court has concluded the final
hearing of the petition filed by NBA and has asked the Grievance
Redressal Authorities (GRAs) to appraise them about the ground
realities of the condition of rehabilitation of those already
displaced and availability of land  both quantitatively and
qualitatively for the remaining Project Affected, up to the full dam
height. The GRAs were to submit the report by July 1st, the status of
which is not yet known. The final judgment of the Court is reserved.

With a resolve of Doobenge par Hatenge Nahi’ (Will face submergence,
but will not move) the people are prepared to face the worst, to save
their land, villages, forest and the river. The Satyagraha will be
continuing till the end of monsoon. Like last year, hundreds of the
project affected people's organisations, youth groups and experienced
political, social activists, academics etc are expected to join the
village representatives at the place of Satyagraha during the coming
months.

Kesav Vasave			Luvariya			Beliben

Kailash			Vishram			Geeta

Sukumar			Joe Athialy