DAM-L [harmful-hydro] Upper Midwest's River's Awareness Tour Starts Friday, July 28 (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Anne Ostberg -----

From sentto-1526124-32-964737713-dianne=sandelman.ottawa.on.ca@returns.onelist.com  Thu Jul 27 18:42:02 2000
To: harmful-hydro@egroups.com
From: "Anne Ostberg" <anne@ostberg.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:38:23 -0000
Subject: [harmful-hydro] Upper Midwest's River's Awareness Tour Starts Friday, July 28

For Immediate Release

Upper Midwest's River's Awareness Tour Starts Friday, July 28

Activists in Two States Will Dip Paddles Against the 250-Mile
Duluth-Wausau Transmission Line

Catawba, WI, July 25 - Grassroots organizations in Wisconsin and
Minnesota are busy putting finishing touches on a week-long tour
through the North Woods.

"We're floating on some of the rivers that Chicago's extension cord
will cross," said Linda Ceylor, spokesperson for Wisconsin's
grassroots group, Save Our Unique Lands, Inc.  "We'll bring alive the
DEIS."

The draft environmental impact statement released by Wisconsin's
Public Service Commission in May has roused environmentalists,
vacationers and landowners.  " It's a detailed list of 53 river
crossings, wetlands and hiking trails that will be affected by the
line," said Roger Steffen, a board member of SOUL.

The proposed line would be built in partnership with Minnesota Power
and Wisconsin Public Service Corporation.  Public hearings will be
held August 28 in Proctor, Minnesota and in mid-September in
Wisconsin.

Midwest organizations supporting the tour include Minnesota's Sierra
Club and Wisconsin's John Muir Chapter, Minnesota Witness For
Environmental Justice, Honor the Earth, Inc., Wanish Trucking of
Catawba, Clean Water Action Council of Northeast Wisconsin and the
North American Water Office.

Activists have invited representatives of Pimicikamak Cree Nation of
northern Manitoba to join the tour.  "Some of the power to be carried
on this line will come from a huge hydroelectric project on their
lands,"said Ceylor.  "We want to connect with them in every way we
can."

The tour begins Friday evening, July 28 south of Duluth and ends at
the Menominee Nation's annual pow-wow in Keshena on Friday, August 4.

All events are free and open to the public.  Advance registration is
suggested, but people will not be turned away on the day of the event.

The schedule is available on SOUL's website:
http://www.wakeupwisconsin.com

For information about events in Wisconsin: Linda Ceylor: 415-474-2271
For information about events in Minnesota: Stewartship: 612-871-8404

Search, Select and Save! FREE Quotes - Maid Services, Landscaping,
Moving, Home Repair Services and More! ServiceLane has a network of
reputable and reliable service pros for all your home service needs!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7614/14/_/300139/_/964737713/