DAM-L Forwarded mail... NBA/India

----- Forwarded message from Support NBA -----

From owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net  Tue Aug  1 22:32:53 2000
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 18:32:13 -0700
To: irn-narmada@@netvista.net
From: Support NBA <support_nba@fnmail.com> (by way of Patrick McCully)
Sender: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net

[text/enriched is unsupported, treating like TEXT/PLAIN]

subject: LS: Int. Appeal for Support from the Narmada

Dear friends,

You might have already received the news that the Satyagraha in the
villages of Jalsindhi (Madhya Pradesh) and Domkhedi (Maharashtra), on
the banks of river Narmada.

We have come from various places all over the world to support this
protest against injustice. We are all outraged at the way in which the
Sardar Sarovar Dam project continues to devastate the communities and
environment of the Narmada River Valley.

This project will displace 2 - 400,000 of people from Maharashtra and
Madhya Pradesh, as it has already displaced 19 villages in Gujarat. In
Madhya Pradesh, where the majority of affected people, there is no land
to resettle oustees.  Even if a few are resettled it seems very likely
that all the problems of social upheaval, split communities and poor
land quality which have been experienced by those oustees from Gujarat,
will be seen again.

At least 14,000 ha of forest land will be submerged by the dam
reservoir. A further 4,000 ha will be cleared in an attempt to
facilitate rehabilitation.  The expansion and regulation of
Shoolpaneshwar Wildlife Sanctuary, an attempt to make good this
environmental disaster, is already seriously affecting livelihoods of
38,000 villagers who live within the boundary of the sanctuary, by
disallowing grazing and severely restricting use of forest resources.

All of this when it has become clear that the electricity generation
and irrigation benefits of this project have been seriously
overestimated.  The much publicized irrigation programme officially
will benefit only 9% of Saurashtra and 1.6% of Kutch by the year 2025.
Considering the demands of water by the rich and powerful along the
route of the main canal it seems very unlikely that even this will be
achieved.

As we prepare to face the rising water it seems timely to remind you
that the Ministry of Environment and Forests (of Government of India)
never consented this project.  The clearance which was given in 1987
was conditional upon the completion of 8 studies, a condition which was
never met, and hence the clearance got cancelled.  The project has been
pushed forward by the central and state governments, whilst it violates
not only the directives of these governments_ own bodies, the Narmada
Water Disputes Tribunal Award, but also international standards such as
the International Labour Organisation_s Convention 107, which India
ratified in 1958.

We will not allow this project to continue uncontested in the
international arena. We will continue to Support the Narmada Bachao
Andolan in their fight for Human Rights and Justice, just as we will
contest large dam projects all over the world. It is our sincere hope
that you also take this in your power to prevent further injustice in
the Narmada Valley.

Many of you have been an integral part of this people_s movement in the
Narmada Valley, since years. We are aware about the fact that your
consistent campaign has forced the World Bank to admit their blunders
and withdraw from funding the project. You also have been very
successful in building up awareness among the international community
that helped us to come here and be with the struggle now.

As you know this is a critical phase for NBA. The Supreme Court has
concluded the hearing of the ongoing case of NBA, filed in 1994,
against Sardar Sarovar Dam. The verdict is expected at any time. With
even a normal monsoon hundreds of houses and fields will submerge this
monsoon. None of the people getting affected are shown land for
rehabilitation, as the law prescribes. The people have no other way
than to face the rising waters.

We are sure that with a yet another organised effort in your own
respective countries, we will be able to help the people of the valley
to march towards victory  of saving their lives and livelihood from
eternal loss.

Can we think about a few programs in our own countries, while the
Satyagraha is in progress? We have thought of a few ones__

1.	Demonstrations in front of the Indian Embassy / Consulate in your
country and giving memorandums to the President and Prime Minister of
India through the Ambassador / High Commissioner of India.

2.	Dissemination of information about the Project and the people_s
struggle in the Narmada Valley and widen the campaign. Urge them to
write protest letters, asking the President, Prime Minister and Chief
Ministers of the three states, to heed to the rightful demands of the
people for a complete and scientific review of the project before
continuing the construction

3.	Encourage others to visit the valley, witness the courageous
struggle, strengthen the hands of the people and carry home the tales
of perseverance, commitment and people_s power.

4.	Write articles / letters to editor on the struggle and your
solidarity.

You may have some more better suggestions. Will you please share it
with us?

For details of the Project and latest on the Satyagraha, please visit
www.narmada.org

We look forward for your prompt response.

In solidarity,

Tom Greaves, UK

Keith Hymas, UK

Ajay Gandhi, Canada

Ali Sauer, Canada

Tracey Brieger, Canada

Aukje van Weert, The Netherlands

Jasper Kencer, The Netherlands

<bold>Some useful addresses:

</bold>The President

Rashtrapati Bhawan

New Delhi

Fax: 91-11-3019545

The Prime Minister

7, Race Course Road

New Delhi

Fax: 91-11-3019817, 3016857

The Chief Minister

Government of Madhya Pradesh

Vallab Bhavan

Bhopal

Madhya Pradesh

Fax: 91-755-540501

The Chief Minister

Government of Maharashtra

Mantralaya

Bombay

Maharashtra

Fax: 91-22-2029214, 3631446

The Chief Minister

Government of Gujarat

Secretariat

Gandhinagar

Gujarat

Fax: 91-2712-22101

This is a temporary email - which will be used only during the
Satyagraha. The mail received in this address will be replied in a
couple of days, as the mail has to reach us in the tribal village
through some friends and go back to the computer, before it reaches
you......

----- End of forwarded message from Support NBA -----