DAM-L Proposed dam on the Rio Grande (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Stephanie Taylor -----

From sroe12@yahoo.com  Tue Aug 22 16:07:33 2000
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:08:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Stephanie Taylor <sroe12@yahoo.com>
Subject: Proposed dam on the Rio Grande
To: dianne@sandelman.ocunix.on.ca

HI.  My name is Stephanie T. and I live in
Brownsville, Texas, at the mouth of the Rio Grande
River.  There are currently two dams in Texas that
supply us with our water supply.(Falcon Dam and
Amistad Dam)  For the past twenty years, there has
been talk of building a new dam closer to the mouth of
the river.  Until recently there have been activist
groups preventing it's approval(i.e wildlife societies
and local fishing groups).  However, now that all of
the demands have been met, it won't belong before our
city council approves the dam, and construction will
begin.  Unfortunately, I, like many other citizens in
the Rio Grande Valley, are unaware of the adverse
affects of dams.  I only recently learned from your
website the damage that dams cause.  I just had a few
questions.  The region I live in is one of the fastest
growing in the country.  Brownsville borders
Matamoros, Mexico, a major metropolitan area.  With
our cities rapid growth, we do need to consider water
conservation, especially since we are prone to severe
drought.  The article in our local paper told only of
the good the dam would do.  According to the
statistics they gave, something has to be done.  Are
all dams destructive?  Is there any way that this dam
could be built so as to have a minimal effect on the
environment?  If not, what are some alternatives to
dams?  Any information you can provide would be
greatly appreciated.  I would just like to be aware of
what are region is in for.  I have no political power
here, so I just want to be ready for what this dam
could bring.  Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Stephaine T.